JD XL 35# at HD now $40.38 bag

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
For years I ordered it to our home. It was $50 a bag. Recently our local Tractor Supply started stocking it in the store. $40 buck for the 35 pound XL Axe breaker lump. I stocked up. 14 bags in reserve. Best lump anywhere. I also have seen where they are changing their kilns to modern types that will pass air quality standards. They are also selling their products in several other countries. Making the big time.

It's $35.97 at Walmart Shipping is free with $35.00 purchase.
so the listed seller on WalMart at this price is from China with a China phone number. My new concern is a counterfeit product coming from China.

I'll pass on the WalMart online only purchase and NOT buy from a China seller. God only know what the heck they're going to ship me.

Sorry, but I won't take this risk to save $3.

Other buyers beware. Know who you're buying product from before you hand over you money.

1679427444984.png
1679427474716.png
1679427494728.png

Last edited:
I picked some up. They also sell the briquettes and so far I'm not a fan. I got a really weak sear on a steak the other night and I had the charcoal roaring hot. I had a dry surface and everything. I get better sears with Kingsford, I swear.

I picked some up. They also sell the briquettes and so far I'm not a fan. I got a really weak sear on a steak the other night and I had the charcoal roaring hot. I had a dry surface and everything. I get better sears with Kingsford, I swear.
did you use briq or lump for your sear? i have zero experience with their briq and only use their lump of which sears at 1100F per my own IR gun readings.

Another point, which I've stated in other threads, is the odds of getting the pieces in the bag broken up increases when you have it shipped. You know those Amazon guys are gonna throw those bags around. Best to buy it right off the pallet yourself and drive it home, if you can.

Another point, which I've stated in other threads, is the odds of getting the pieces in the bag broken up increases when you have it shipped. You know those Amazon guys are gonna throw those bags around. Best to buy it right off the pallet yourself and drive it home, if you can.
i've done both. yes, the amazon guys do handle the package but, i've had no negative issues. the really large lumps are too large, IMO, for my WSK and I wind up breaking them anyway. so the Amazon delivery team just makes it a little easier. if i didn't have to drive 24 miles r/t to buy some (local TS store) then i'd buy it locally. i'm betting HD will stock it at the store in a few weeks as grilling season he about to hit here, at least in NorCal.

Depends on the lump, right?
Some are more dense than others and can handle a little more " rough handling".
I know I try to buy from the top of a pallet compared to the bottom and look for bags that are pillowy compared to flat.

so the listed seller on WalMart at this price is from China with a China phone number. My new concern is a counterfeit product coming from China.

I'll pass on the WalMart online only purchase and NOT buy from a China seller. God only know what the heck they're going to ship me.

Sorry, but I won't take this risk to save $3.

Other buyers beware. Know who you're buying product from before you hand over you money.

View attachment 67907
View attachment 67908
View attachment 67909
Interesting and great points.
I don't order charcoal online anyway. Not because of the origin, because of the handling. I'd prefer whole pieces, not busted up crumbs.

I recently burned through a bag of JD lump from HD, 2nd time trying it and its some good stuff if you can swallow the price

Back