I've never felt this uncertain about a purchase

Scott Quimby

TVWBB Fan
I finally went down to Lowes this morning and bought a Smoke Fire EX4. There seem to be so many reasons that I shouldn't have done this. The heavy layer of dust on the 3 units at the store was just one reason. The early terrible reviews are another. The lack of newer reviews and detailed explanation of fixes or where in the serial number chain these fixes happened is yet another. So why did I decide to buy it? First off, this is the EXACT product that I have been waiting for. I caught wind of this product last year before it came out and was ready to buy it immediately when it came out. Then the launch was a disaster and I held off.
We have for many years been cooking with gas several times a week, charcoal for better cuts and weekends, and smoking when it worked out or a special occasion. I have a Genesis Silver B that my Father-in-law passed down to me. This Grill from the Early 2000's has shown that it will NEVER die, rust out, or be unreliable - except for the ignition in winter once in a while. I beat it up and it always works. I would have had a hard justifying a new gas grill because this old dog just keeps performing.
The charcoal grill is a 24" avocado green Weber kettle from the 70's. This one has had legs re-welded on and the wood handle is almost gone. This grill is has become a labor of love and I'll never get rid of it. I have spent entire days standing over it while smoking a shoulder or ribs. This is not a dreaded experience, but I often just don't have the time.
Then there are the smokers. I have had little luck with the smokers. The electric stand up one has gone through 3 controllers, has never produced smoke properly except in cold temps and has been written off, it's going to the dump. The bullet smoker has been almost as frustrating, just eating through charcoal and stalling and not performing well. These smokers have disappointed me to the point that I have been doing all smoking in the kettle, which also means that I have not been smoking much.
A really well built pellet smoker that can produce gas grill heat and be controlled through an app is the exact grill that I have wanted. The specs on this thing are perfect. I wasn't even successful in researching whether The grill I bought has the upgrades, and I consider myself to be pretty good at internet research. The employees at Lowes, three different ones, could not tell me if this was an upgraded unit. In the end, I chose the one on the sales floor with the highest serial number and am resigned to having Weber take care of me if it is not an updated version. They are a great company and make great products. All of the Smoke Fires at Lowes were pre-built and they did not have any boxed units.
I got it home and set it up. I was happy to find that my upgraded stainless grates from my gas grill fit perfectly, so I swapped them out. I downloaded the app and paired the grill to my phone, it was seamless, and it performed an automatic firmware update immediately. I filled up the hopper, set it to 600 and it did its thing. It's a bit louder than I was expecting. Not a huge deal, but worth mentioning. After burning this sucker for 30 minutes, I did the shutdown. Is the constant fan cycling for 15 minutes really how it is? I find it loud and annoying, and it's the biggest drawback so far in my experience. I have a 14x14 deck and being out there while this thing shuts down is not going to be pleasant. But I have not had any real technical problems so far. There are currently two racks of ribs cooking at 250, I got a late start and needed to push the temps up just a touch to have dinner at a reasonable time.
So here are a few questions that I could not find answers to. How can I know if this grill has the updated parts? The serial number is UD0162680. I can't see an obvious date code and Weber support has not responded to me yet. Anybody out there able to figure out a date from the serial number? Second, is this constant, loud fan cycling for 15 minutes on shutdown a feature, or a glitch? Third, had anyone purchased the front and side tables, and are they nice, and worth the price? Fourth, are the electronics going to be ok in the elements? I did buy a cover. I grill year round and would like to hear if anyone has had problems with the electronics or fans or screen.
So here I am on the bleeding edge, hoping for a great experience. I'm pretty satisfied so far. Please let me know if you think I will stay satisfied.

Get that sucka registered with Weber and demand the auger and chute updates. There are several members who have ridden out the turbulence and teething pains on Smoke Fire. I am not one of them. Make sure you get the software updates too.

Welcome, Scott. I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd even consider a pellet pooper (was surprised I ever even looked in these threads). But I'm now seriously thinking of ways to convince the wife I need a new $1,200 cooker on the deck. It seemed to be a rough start with this one, but I think Weber has ironed out many of the wrinkles and is standing behind the product. The cooks I'm seeing posted here are fantastic.

Thanks for the welcome! We somehow had a instant party pop up with our neighbors and also the parents of our son's best friend, coming back from a birthday party. It may have just been the wine talking, but everyone was raving about the ribs. And yes, they were very good! I will say this on day one - this was the easiest smoking experience that I have had in my life. I set up the Smoke Fire in the former location of my gas grill, which certainly helped. But I literally just set a temp, let it start smoking, put the meat on, and ignored it for 5 hours. This is the scenario that I was going for, so I'm very pleased with my first day. Tomorrow will be slow smoked wings for lunch, and T-bones for dinner. I'll be back, with pictures.

I think you can only safely know if you have the upgrades by looking. I bought mine at the end of June direct from Weber and have the old auger chute and they will not send me a new one until I have problems. There’s pictures in other threads here showing the differences from looking down through the hopper. I also had one at launch I returned after experiencing a couple issues and being paranoid it was going to flop. Remove the finger guard at your own risk, but it will help feed problems and see if there’s the hopper insert. It’s pretty easy to tell since it will hide the caulked seams on the long side of the ramp and have like a little shelf at the top.

The early issues had a lot to do with firmware. I‘d use drip pans when smoking greasy food. Grilling it doesn’t matter as it will burn up quick. Yes the shutdown is loud and annoying, but similar on many pellet grills. Keep her clean and you’re going to love it. I, like many have pretty much made it my primary cooker now and have run problem free (knock on wood) with the new firmware.

Thank you Shane for your reply. This HAS to be my primary outdoor cooker, or I have made the wrong gamble. I would never spend a grand for an occasionally used or specific situation cooker. My primary goal with this purchase was to stop compromising between gas vs charcoal because of time constraints and also being a great smoker is a huge benefit. I'm also willing to put in some work as an early adopter to ensure that my experience is positive.

I'm surprised to hear that your direct from Weber purchase in June was not an upgraded unit. Perhaps the reality is that the firmware really was the biggest problem and Weber was trying to appease with design changes. I really have no idea. But at a certain point, the recent good news and promise of solid customer support, mixed with my lack of patience, has made me a Smoke Fire owner. And for tonight, I'm satisfied.

Welcome Scott, I’m not a smokefire owner and given the amount of grills and so forth I have around here I doubt that I will be anytime soon but, after seeing the initial hub bub when it came out and the subsequent praise and fine looking food coming off of them by members here, I would be pleased to have one, it sounds like the bulk of the bugs have been swatted out of the picture.

Welcome to the forum and the SmokeFire clan. Like you I waited until July and bought from Lowe's expecting some problems but willing to deal with them because it does what you and I wanted. This is my third pellet grill. My Craigslist Rec Tec and Camp Chef are excellent smokers but not excellent grills. The build date is on the box in one of the labels. Mine was 1/18/20 so I have all of the old hardware and I haven't had a problems in 2 months. Another member has had his since Feb. and still running the original hardware. The regular upgrades to the grill firmware have resolved a lot of issues. The firmware and app will continue to get better. Weber is taking good care of SmokeFire owners. Be sure to register your grill. There's a group on Facebook, "Weber Smokefire wood fired pellet grill owners group" and they have built an excellent Q&A with a ton of good info specific to the SmokeFire. Removing the finger guard from the pellet hopper helps with pellet feed. I put UHMW tape on the long floor of the hopper and I get 12+ hours of cooking without stirring the pellets. Pellet grill fans are noisy so that's something you'll get used to. I'm 79 and beat up. My charcoal cookers were getting more painful to use because of the bending involved. I bet the farm on the Smokefire. Once I wrung it out I sold my Performer and WSMs. Your gamble will pay off but you may have a glitch or two along the way. It's a great cooker. Lots of good help here so hang in there and try to relax.

I made some seriously amazing wings for lunch today. Now there is trouble. I am willing to deal with some issues but this is poorly timed. I have corn on and set it for 300. The system decided that RIGHT NOW is the time to have me do a firmware update. It reminds me about it every 5 seconds on the app and won't let me change temps for my steak cook. I have to press the "update" continuously and it won't let me change temps from the app. I was able to change temps on the grill itself but then it would not go to 600. I was forced to throw the steaks on at 480, not ideal. Then after a while, it decided to go up to 600. When I looked at the app, it had "forgotten" the serial number and firmware version of the grill. I just had the app "forget" the pairing and re-paired.
This is the sort of glitch that I'm willing to deal with, but not right at dinner time after justifying my purchase to my wife. Oh well, this is going to be a journey. I registered it today. Tomorrow will be smoked lake trout. I got Apple and Cherry at Ace today in addition to the blend I got yesterday. I will remove the finger guard tomorrow as well. Thanks all!

Hi Scott, your story sounds almost identical to mine. I just picked up the EX6 from Lowe’s yesterday. I held off on this purchase for a long time hoping all the bugs have been worked out by now. I found the EX6 on sale for $950 at Lowe’s so decided to go for it. They were going to give me a pre-assembled unit but I asked for a boxed one and they pulled one from the back for me. Unfortunately it looks like a got an early production unit as it had a date of 09/2019 on one of the stickers. None of the recent updates have been installed.

I called Weber support, registered the unit and told them I’m aware of the reported issues. Support tried to tell me they won’t ship the updated parts unless I have an issue first. I just explained that I’d rather not have any issues in the first place and would appreciate it if they shipped me the updated auger assembly and hopper slide. They agreed so I’m happy with that.

I finished assembling it today and my only real complaint is the poor quality application of the caulk in the pellet hopper and in some spots around the smoke chamber. I mean seriously. I think my 6 year old could have done a better job. I may trim some of that back and re-apply it.

I plan to run through all the updates and install the new hardware before putting any food in it. I have high hopes for this grill. I’m hoping it can replace my 13 year old Spirit and 5 year old Camp Chef Smoke Pro DLX.

Great price at least. I'd fire it up if I was you, get to know it before the upgrades come. I may be complaining a little, but I'm mostly having fun and having successful cooks. I'm really liking it overall. Here is some lake trout brining for a smoke this afternoon. 20200906_105840.jpg

The flaws are worth putting up with because of all the capabilities it has. Good looking food. I also have a 5 year old Craigslist DLX that I modified a lot to include the Rec Tec wifi controller in it. Until the Smokefire came along it was everything I wanted in a Pellet Grill. I keep saying I'll sell it after my big cook this week but it's now the way I want it and I'm wavering. It's comfortable to have a reliable backup but selling it clears space in a crowded garage. DLX Modified w front shelf 2-24-20.jpg

Yeah Lew, I'm pretty happy after yesterday. I haven't had a total failure with a cook yet and the grill is brand new to me. It does seem that the right side is hotter on full blast furnace mode, but I think I actually prefer that to perfectly even. I also learned on the second pizza that the top rack is hotter than the main rack. Good to know. Tonight is pork chops, straight from the farm. Any tips to get them smokier? put them in cold and do a smoke boost, then remove and heat to 600? This was kinda my plan.

Yeah Lew, I'm pretty happy after yesterday. I haven't had a total failure with a cook yet and the grill is brand new to me. It does seem that the right side is hotter on full blast furnace mode, but I think I actually prefer that to perfectly even. I also learned on the second pizza that the top rack is hotter than the main rack. Good to know. Tonight is pork chops, straight from the farm. Any tips to get them smokier? put them in cold and do a smoke boost, then remove and heat to 600? This was kinda my plan.
That should work just fine. My wife prefers chops in the Sous Vide and then sear so that's what she gets. I get the internal temp to 140 and then sear. That should give you medium rare. I haven't had a fail in 2 months but I've had a few glitches. I am so pleased with how well it grills and smokes that I'm more than willing to ride out the rough spots. I think there's a SmokeFire psychology that affects a lot of us. I heard so many bad things that I expect some big problem to jump up and bite me but it hasn't happened. Maybe, just maybe, there's no Boogie Man hiding under my bed. :LOL:

Back