It's with real sadness...

that I had to say goodbye to my 22 WSM. It was part of a trade for a Stump's Prince that I need for Comps. Believe it or not I actually felt more like crying for selling the WSM than I did for selling my last boat. I still have the rest of the Weber clan. In fact, I just finished the Mini-WSM and have been using it for cold smoking.

I must say after cooking in the Stump's a few times that I think I actually prefer doing the ribs in the WSM. Is it possible that the WSM is a better rib cooker than the Stump's? Time/practice will tell.

I will say that the Stumps has it all over the WSM for brisket and butts. I truly will not miss having to snake remote thermometer cables through the top vent and unloading the top rack every time I need to get to the bottom rack.

How crazy will it look at a competition, a Stump's Prince with an 18 WSM and a 22 OTG? People will think I've lost my mind.

Russ

I got rid of my 2 WSMs that I used for 6 years when I got a pair of backwoods smokers for comps and a Klose pit for my patio. I almost shed a tear and was upset enough that my wife said I could keep one if I wanted. I still sold them, but really cheap ($30 each) to 2 friends who use them every so often. I never knew I would get so attached to a cooker. Another friend called me today and told me he just bought a WSM. He knows about this site - I told him it was a great place to go for info and tips. Regards, Mark

I don't get it. If you're only going to sell them for like $30, or even $100, is it really worth selling? I mean come on, is a WSM ever in the way?

The other day I was thinking about that since we added a Lang to our aresenal I could sell one of my WSMs. But my 18 was my first smoker, so I couldn't sell it. And my 22 can cook a lot of pork while I sleep.

Unlike a boat, your WSM never had to go into the shop or down expensive gas. Good luck with the Stumps!

A couple of things led to the decision of selling the 22.

First and maybe foremost was that Forrest (Forrest's Fine Foods) wanted a 22 WSM really bad and since that is who I bought the Stump's from, it just made sense.

Second, I figured that I can use the mini-WSM for little test cooks or just me, the 18 WSM for small groups, and fire up the Prince for big groups & competitions.

The 18 was my very first smoker, so it is most definately not for sale. In fact, I'm thinking of retiring that 18 to it's spot in the back yard and buying a new 18 to take to comps for ribs. It's a lot of wear/tear to bring it along and it's starting to really show it.

Russ

Back