It's time for Christmas preparations.

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
It's almost december, and I've been busy preparing for the holidays.

I'd like to share a quite unusual dish. Here in Norway, we like our cold food. It's normal to eat just one hot meal per day, so lunch meals are normally cold.

We eat a lot of bread, and you need something to put on the bread. The Swedes are known for their "Smorgasbord", but that is just because they are better at boasting and advertising than we are. I've even heard that they normally eat a hot lunch!

Enough of this, and I'll try to get to the point. Each year, I usually hot smoke a tounge. The taste and texture is fantastic. You should try it!
It is difficult to by a tounge that is fresh, so I bought a cured one. Looks like this.

20141130_DSC_1227.jpg

Then, grab your razor sharp knife. If you have a rather dull knife, then just forget it. The skin is super tough. My Masahiro knife with a fresh hone job does the trick.
20141130_DSC_1228.jpg

I use a cooking stocking to get a more uniform thickness, and apply a bit of gelatine under the tip of the tounge to get more nice slices.

20141130_DSC_1230.jpg

Temps a bit too high. I did not get the smoked taste I was looking for, but the meat was great. Next year I'll try f300 instead of f350. Internal temperature should be at f170.

And done

20141130_DSC_1235.jpg

It's real easy to slice this. The meat is firm, so I can get a lot of thin slices. Tastes great on brown bread, maybe with some mayo to go.

20141130_DSC_1236.jpg

Thank your for your time.

Last edited:
This whole tongue thing has been getting more and more intriguing recently. Not the usual protein, but as always, Geir, you make it look amazing.

Geir, that looks tasty. I have been thinking about other parts of the beef. I did notice that wally world here had beef tongue. I would have to make it when nobody was home and then not tell the other family members what it was.

Looks good, I would try it!! I seems like it would be better to cure it without the skin on, no? Do you know what the tongue was cured with?

Ditto Clint, maybe if I didn't know is was tonque. You have some nice color and the cuts show it off just right.

Hi Folks.

I can only concur with Geir. Beef tongue is beautiful. Has the texture of sliced ham, with a beef taste. Speshly on bread with mustard or horseradish sauce.
If you see it in a supermarket or deli pre-sliced, I highly recommend you grab some and check it out.
:)

Count me on the tongue bus. You definitely know you're in an old school deli if they have a tongue sandwich. Or at TonySB's having tacos!

It is funny (to me) what people will or won't eat. Things like blood sausage, blood and tongue lunch meat, chicken feet, liver sausage etc. seem to gross people out. I like tongue but one that size I would be eating by myself for a month! Although wife and kids do like liver sausage.

Thank you for your comments.
Lots of people here in Norway does not buy this product at all.
The ones that enjoy it, buy it sliced and ready to eat, if you make it yourself, normally you brine it with salt, around 2% and some sugar, and then simmered in water, maybe some carrot, unions and pepper added, for about three hours.
I do not really understand why you would not eat it. Come on, it's a muscle!
To compare, I love sausages, but when you think of the things they are made of, this is pure bliss compared to the fact that sausages are made of intestines, where the feces is removed by filling the intestines with water, and then filled basically with ground up scrap and leftover cuts. I have eaten sausages for over fifty years, and will continue to do so. :)

Thank you for your comments.
Lots of people here in Norway does not buy this product at all.
The ones that enjoy it, buy it sliced and ready to eat, if you make it yourself, normally you brine it with salt, around 2% and some sugar, and then simmered in water, maybe some carrot, unions and pepper added, for about three hours.
I do not really understand why you would not eat it. Come on, it's a muscle!
To compare, I love sausages, but when you think of the things they are made of, this is pure bliss compared to the fact that sausages are made of intestines, where the feces is removed by filling the intestines with water, and then filled basically with ground up scrap and leftover cuts. I have eaten sausages for over fifty years, and will continue to do so. :)

Damn! Now I can't eat sausage anymore. jk lol

Back