Italian Beef Cook

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
Is underway. Found what seems to be a good and popular recipe online, at Big Oven. I'm adapting the recipe to the WSM, verses the oven. I'm cooking over Humphrey's as always, and just using a foil pan underneath the 2 roasts in place of the water pan.No smoke wood is being used, the lump will add a nice touch of flavor like when I do my Pork and Kraut on the WSM. The foil pan will come into play when the liquid is added. I'll post some pics as I go. Link to pics
icon_smile.gif

Bryan, is this the recipe with onions and peppers added to the pans once you add the liquid?? Just thinking about it is making me drool!! REALLY looking forward to the finished pic's!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Bryan, is this the recipe with onions and peppers added to the pans once you add the liquid?? Just thinking about it is making me drool!! REALLY looking forward to the finished pic's! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Larry, this one doesn't have the peppers and onions. The recipe says to serve with "Sport peppers". I was thinking of making some Hot Italian Giardiniera for the Italian beef. Pic was just added. This smells wonderful cooking on the WSM.
Link to Italian Beef recipe
Link to Italian Giardiniera recipe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Bryan, is this the recipe with onions and peppers added to the pans once you add the liquid?? Just thinking about it is making me drool!! REALLY looking forward to the finished pic's! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Larry, this one doesn't have the peppers and onions. The recipe says to serve with "Sport peppers". I was thinking of making some Hot Italian Giardiniera for the Italian beef. Pic was just added. This smells wonderful cooking on the WSM.
Link to Italian Beef recipe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just joined and was reading that recipe!! Gonna have to try that once I get my cholesterol straight (even though it's round, I may be able to have it)! The Hot Italian Giardiniera would be perfect!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Link to Italian Beef recipe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just joined and was reading that recipe!! Gonna have to try that once I get my cholesterol straight (even though it's round, I may be able to have it)! The Hot Italian Giardiniera would be perfect!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I went with bottom round as they are on sale this week at WEIS markets for $1.69lb. They were very lean. I cut the thin fat cap off before cooking. The recipe called for Rump, but they were $4lb. I just pulled them off the WSM and man garage smells great.
icon_biggrin.gif
I'll let em cool and then fridge overnight. I'll slice em thin tomorrow and finish the cook. Last pic for today added.

Bryan,

nice looking cook. You say you're not adding smoke wood. Just with coals, how much smoke flavour impart on the meat by using the WSM as an oven? I want to do a nice prime rib or a porchetta, but don't really want the smoke flavour. But I figure roasting in the WSM will give a better flavour overall than the oven.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
Bryan,

nice looking cook. You say you're not adding smoke wood. Just with coals, how much smoke flavour impart on the meat by using the WSM as an oven? I want to do a nice prime rib or a porchetta, but don't really want the smoke flavour. But I figure roasting in the WSM will give a better flavour overall than the oven. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
G, you get a nice flavor from the lump. Not much, but just enough to make the meat far better than cooking it in an oven. I get a subtle flavor from the Hump lump. Not smokey at all, just a great charcoal flavor.

Bryan,
how many beers do you think it will take before the meat is done? That's pretty much how I cook things these days, especially now that the weather is getting warmer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:
Bryan,
how many beers do you think it will take before the meat is done? That's pretty much how I cook things these days, especially now that the weather is getting warmer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a feeling it might be Bud Light
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Clark:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:
Bryan,
how many beers do you think it will take before the meat is done? That's pretty much how I cook things these days, especially now that the weather is getting warmer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a feeling it might be Bud Light
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why yes it was Robert. Mighty fine tasting at that. Ed, this was a real short cook, for the first stage. I'd say bout an hr and a half total, 4-5 beers. I guzzle though.
icon_biggrin.gif

Ive made this same recipe a couple of times in the oven. I made the giardinera recipe also. I used sirloin tip and after it rested I sliced it thin on the meat slicer and added it back to the juices. I took the giardinera and pulsed it a couple of times in the food processor to give it an almost chunky relish texture. I put it on some nice hoagie rolls and boy was it good. I will try it on the WSM. I was thinking about making some giardinera since most of the ingredients are on sale this week. Only problem is there seems to be some controversy over how long it will keep. I would like to make a large batch but I dont think you can can it for some reason.

Hi Bryan S

You rascal, saw your pics and got off the computer ran into Weis mkt. and got 2 rosst's what a deal. Never made this lean of a cut on the WSM.

What temp did you cook at, and what temp did you cook the meat to ???

I guess you cooked it pretty rare ?

I want to make italian beef out of one of my roasts.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
What temp did you cook at, and what temp did you cook the meat to ???

I guess you cooked it pretty rare ?

I want to make italian beef out of one of my roasts.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John, Temp from the recipe link I posted above said to cook at 450 for 15 min. I had the lid hanging off for a 1/2 hr and it never got over 375. The foil pan on the bottom rack was the problem, cutting my airflow. As you know wy WSM runs cold. After the 1/2 hr with the lid off I flipped the roasts and they really didn't take on any color yet. Left em go another 22 min and took the foil pan out. So then I had the direct heat from below and strted to finally get some color. Flipped again after 22 min and then removed them once I was happy with the color and char on them. All told prob about 375 for 1.5 hrs. Would have been a lot faster without the foil pan on the lower grate, prob about an hr.Internal temp really doesn't matter here as you'll be simmering/braising the slices till tender. You just want to make sure that you don't cook it too much and it falls apart when slicing the beef. I used my Borner V-Slicer instead of the Globe slicer for this. They were small and the perfect size for the V-Slicer. I just put the pan of beef on the WSM in the broth, rest of the seasonings, and bay leafs. I despise fennel seeds so not a chance they are going in there. I covered the foil pan tightly. I just sat the empty water pan on the lower grate to block the heat from below. All vents open and it's at 250 now. Hoping to get at least 350 out of the old girl. Pics updated with the sliced photo.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I used Aleppo pepper instead of red pepper flakes.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan S.

I got ya.

Recipe link says cook 15 min @ 450, then 20-30 min @ 350, cool juices skim fat, add rest of rub, slice meat thin simmer 1-2 hrs untill tender. I think I'll cook (awhile), without the water pan as you did to get some color.

reading reviews from the recipe page, someone said next time he would slice the meat thinner.

How thin did you slice ?

You also said you would say more about the pan drippings "later" ??

Man that sliced shot is the money shot, looks great.

Going to try mine in the next few days.

Thanks again and Happy Smoking !!!

Back