Is there some kind of cast iron griddle type surface I can get for a Genesis E330?

John Franklin

Like something that would replace one of the grates and give me a flat cooking surface to make everyone's favorite trendy smash burgers (I know, but I still want to try to make one since they are all the rage), or things like eggs and hashbrowns or other foods that need a frying flat surface instead of grill grates?

I was thinking there might be something that I could take off one have of the grates and put it on so I could grill on one side and use the griddle on the other during a cook out to have both ways going on the unit.

As far as my experience goes, a hot griddle is a hot griddle. It doesn't matter if the heat comes from a Weber grill or your home stove - the cooking is the same process. Rigging up a Weber grill to replace the function of a normal frying pan on a kitchen stove is possible, but why? So long as your gas/electric works, you can fry indoors. I really don't understand the hash browns and eggs outside on a grill idea.

These things are all just tools.

My approach to your question would start with trying to use the same utensils that you already own and use indoors. The learning curve is low, and the cost and storage are already accounted for. My next step up would be something like the tools mentioned above because they can be used in a variety of different ways. Even if it existed and was free, wouldn't have much interest in a utensil that could only fit on half of a Weber Genesis E330.

As a side note, if this is your thing, there are plenty of gas/LP dedicated flattop griddle units on the market.

I use a lodge CI on my E330. It is big enough for a few smash burgers or a pile of bacon or a bunch of shrimp.

Its a little narrower than the Left / Sear / Center spacing, but it gets plenty hot if I preheat it with the lid closed and all burners on high.

20220323_173817.jpg

edit: here's a link.

Price fluctuates a bit. I bought it last summer for $29.90

Rigging up a Weber grill to replace the function of a normal frying pan on a kitchen stove is possible, but why?
OH man, I would NEVER make smashburgers on the kitchen stove, I only do it on a cast iron griddle outside on the grill at maximum heat, and grease goes everywhere! It's a real mess to clean up, and I'd rather keep that mess outside than in my kitchen. But maybe that's just me.

This is the one I use:

www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Grid-Griddle-Reversible-Easy-Grip/dp/B00008GKDQ/

Last edited:
Also I would take out the flavorizer bars under what ever you decide to use as the griddle. It will save a lot of gas and heat up quicker and hotter.

Yeah honestly if I could get a nice thick sheet of stainless steel I would go that route. CI is ok but IMO highly over rated compared to good old carbon steel or stainless steel. As for aluminum? MEH with a capital MEH. Aluminum sheds heat far too quickly.

Why cast iron versus just carbon steel? https://steelmadeusa.com/collections/outdoor-cooking/products/flat-top-for-outdoor-grill#

I‘d offer you feedback, but mine just showed up a couple days ago and I’m more anxious to try out the new to me KBQ when the wind ever dies down.
Most dedicated griddles use carbon steel. Aka Blackstone. I was headed down the same road and for less money I picked up a used RINO razor foldable 2 burner griddle. I find it more convenient then having to mess with reconfiguring my grill.

When I still had my Genesis I used this:

LITTLE GRIDDLE Sizzle-Q SQ180 100% Stainless Steel Universal Griddle with Even Heating Cross Bracing for Charcoal/Gas Grills, Camping, Tailgating, and Parties (18"x13"x3") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HQHBSQ/?tag=tvwb-20

It worked very well and I would personally recommend this option. Just put it right on top of the grill grates.

I had the Little Griddle and sold it. IMO it sits too high up off the flames, takes a long time to get hot, and my food kept winding up in the fat trough in the front.

I went with the Weber griddle for my 330.

qW5TW3tl.jpg

I actually have a Little Griddle, but have never used it and will likely sell it.
I had planned to use it on this grill after the resto, but opted to go with
this set up instead.
The Little Griddle would either take up the whole surface, or require to take
it on and off ( something that would annoy the hell out me).

4 cooks on it so far and we are very happy. Perfect size to do basically
anything I want on the gasser and not need remove anything.
I did however reverse the setup, to have better temp control over
griddle cooking surface.

Not looking quite as good tonight in the rain, and after a few cooks ....

4pAqIGjl.jpg

PDVYSnpl.jpg

I would think 12 slabs of bacon on that griddle would be a whole lot less mess to clean up than in a skillet on the stove in the kitchen.

Bruce, if its too cold to cook bacon out on the grill, we cook it in the oven.
Baking sheet covered w/ foil. Much easier, very little mess to deal with.

Back