Is there an ATC that has a differential temp feature?

Brad Baker

TVWBB Fan
Is there an ATC that does a differential temperature cook? I'd like to be able to set the cooker temperature at a minimum, say 225F and then have it maintain a cooker-to-meat differential temperature as the meat temperature rises. I do this anyway manually to reduce the time it takes the pork butts to get to 200F. It could be a useful automated feature IMO, IME, YMMV, etc.

dont know about that direction but GURU has a ramp feature that as your meat nears completion, it drops the temp of the pit so you dont grossly overcook your product. you could maybe use that in reverse and cook at 275 and have it snuff out your pit when the butts are done. Conversely, I have never done this so its pure theory. but I do have a DigiQ in the mail

Is there an ATC that does a differential temperature cook? I'd like to be able to set the cooker temperature at a minimum, say 225F and then have it maintain a cooker-to-meat differential temperature as the meat temperature rises. I do this anyway manually to reduce the time it takes the pork butts to get to 200F. It could be a useful automated feature IMO, IME, YMMV, etc.
That feature more or less is implemented in stokerlog 7. You get to set meat temps that when hit, will adjust the fire temp. Currently there are two triggers. I can add more if there is interest but this should be enough to at least test your idea :). Stokerlog also has a "keep warm" feature which sets another trigger at which point, the fire temp is lowered as to maintain the current temp. So with that, you have three steps in your cooking process.

Back