Is a Stick Burner cheaper to operate than a WSM?

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
Hello,

This may be a bit of an unusual question, but I was just wondering what the difference in operating cost is between a stick burner (smoker with offset firebox powered with wood) and a WSM fired with charcoal and wood chunks.

Does anyone have experience using both? If so, do you have any idea which is cheaper? It seems like a stick burner takes less fuel at any given time, but it has to be refueled every hour or so.

I'm only looking at operating cost as I know most good stick burners cost way more than a WSM. If a stick burner is cheaper, I'm curious as to how many hours of operation/use you'd have to put into it before the savings equated to the price you paid for the unit. (hope that makes sense, was a little difficult to word)

- Bryan

I would say it depends on your wood source. If you're getting free wood, obviously it would be cheaper, of course you have to split it to use it. If you have to go out and buy split wood, I think you'll find using charcoal is cheaper. Where I live, buying split wood is not cheap. Charcoal you can buy on sale a couple times a year, and chunks are relatively cheap and you even can pick up some for free, at least around here you can. Hope that helps.

It might be cheaper but it depends how you look at it. If you look at it on a per cook basis, it may cost more to fire up a stick burner and keep it running for 10+ hours. If you look at it on a per pound of meat basis, the stick burner might be a lot cheaper if it's large and you can cook a lot of meat in it. I'm a finance person and questions like this usually are answered starting with "it depends". You even started out your question with a dependent. You excluded the equipment cost. JimmyE started with it depends on the wood source but ended with free charcoal as one of the dependents. George presumes that the decision to use a wsm at a comp is due to the fuel cost.

So - what is the difference in operating cost? It depends.

I know I use a whole lot less fuel in my WSM than my stick burner on a 10-15 hour brisket smoke. Sometimes I have enough fuel left over to start my chimney for the minion method for the next cook as well.. I also buy my charcoal during the holiday sales days..

I can get my mesquite, pecan and oak for free but once you figure in gas for the truck and chainsaw, and the time and labor, it is no longer free. I do like my stick burner for bigger smokes hanging out with buddies but it hard to beat the efficiency of the WSM for smaller cooks and during the heat of the summer. I like to stay in the AC and monitor it with my Maverick during these 100 deg days:cool:

So, if you guys with the stick burners were to do your cooks with a nice sized basket of lump in the fire box would that change how you look at it. I am asking because I just met a fellow who made a big squarish charcoal holder for his stick burner and says he cooks over night with it like that. Found that interesting, best of both worlds so to speak.

I know I use a whole lot less fuel in my WSM than my stick burner on a 10-15 hour brisket smoke. Sometimes I have enough fuel left over to start my chimney for the minion method for the next cook as well.. I also buy my charcoal during the holiday sales days..

I can get my mesquite, pecan and oak for free but once you figure in gas for the truck and chainsaw, and the time and labor, it is no longer free. I do like my stick burner for bigger smokes hanging out with buddies but it hard to beat the efficiency of the WSM for smaller cooks and during the heat of the summer. I like to stay in the AC and monitor it with my Maverick during these 100 deg days:cool:

Jason, how are end products on the stick burner different than the wsm?

It might be cheaper but it depends how you look at it. If you look at it on a per cook basis, it may cost more to fire up a stick burner and keep it running for 10+ hours. If you look at it on a per pound of meat basis, the stick burner might be a lot cheaper if it's large and you can cook a lot of meat in it. I'm a finance person and questions like this usually are answered starting with "it depends". You even started out your question with a dependent. You excluded the equipment cost. JimmyE started with it depends on the wood source but ended with free charcoal as one of the dependents. George presumes that the decision to use a wsm at a comp is due to the fuel cost.

So - what is the difference in operating cost? It depends.

I actually have a BS in Finance. I guess my main motivation in asking is that I have a lifelong dream of opening a restaurant. That said, I've been wondering if it'd be viable to smoke the meat with a few different WSM's.

It seems like a WSM would give you a long smoke for pork butts and/or brisket that a stick burner could not. That time savings might be the difference in making your concept viable.

For instance I know that Aaron Franklin runs his stick burners 24/7 and has a night pitmaster to feed the fire. That's a TON of work. I know that a restaurant is about the hardest job you can have, but I'd still like to try and make it as manageable as possible.

Was just curious as to the difference in fuel cost between a stick burner and WSM for the type of volume you'd run at a restaurant. Seems like you only see BBQ places running stick burners, or gas/electric smokers. I've never heard of a BBQ joint running WSM's. Maybe they do, just never seen it.

I echo Bob, for a 'raunt I would certainly go with a pellet, gas, or electric smoker. I can cook twice as many butts on my FEC100 as I can my 22" WSM but the cost of fuel is going to be pretty close equal.

I echo Bob, for a 'raunt I would certainly go with a pellet, gas, or electric smoker. I can cook twice as many butts on my FEC100 as I can my 22" WSM but the cost of fuel is going to be pretty close equal.

Is the smoke taste from a pellet smoker comparable to what you get with a WSM or stick burner? I don't want to sacrifice taste for ease if I can help it. 1 BBQ joint in town has a large stick burner they cook on in front of their restaurant. If nothing else it is great marketing as it produces a strong smoke smell within a nearby radius.

I cooked on the offset yesterday, just because I hadn't used it in awhile. Makes me appreciate the WSMs even more. Talk about tied to your smoker. I had forgotten just how much attention they require, unless you spring for a Jambo and they are very efficient and very expensive, not counting the long wait to get one.

Have a 36" Lang reverse flow, it has a 17" firebox, seems to be cheaper to operate in my opinion. But, like Jason, I enjoy a controled climate in the summer time, and tend to use the WSM for longer cooks. Then again, I don't stock up on charcoal when it is on sale due to the fact that I have limited storage space. Ford Ranger, can usually get a load of pecan for around 40.00 in spring or early summer. Have been paying aroung 80.00 to 90.00 for a load of hickory.

Dave that Lang is what I was looking at when I bought my WSM. Beautiful smokers. Tell me have you seen the fellows using the extruded metal charcoal holding crates for using lump in them. Thought that would give the long cook time and less time on the maintenance.

Jason, how are end products on the stick burner different than the wsm?

The difference to me is not that much. But I do think the flavor of a stick burner is a little better than a charcoal one. That's not to say that the WSM is bad because I love my WSM, but there is just something about a stick burners' finished product that gives it the edge.....IMO. ....

Greg... :) I thought a little change up was in order since so many don't get the original, often quoted statement.

Try to define "smoke taste".
How very true! Especially given the fact we are talking about the general public in a commercial atmosphere.

Greg... Your team is having an excellent year ! Wishing you continued success and excellence in BBQ.

Last edited:
Greg... :) I thought a little change up was in order since so many don't get the original, often quoted statement.

How very true! Especially given the fact we are talking about the general public in a commercial atmosphere.

Greg... Your team is having an excellent year ! Wishing you continued success and excellence in BBQ.

Usually it's more of a "different" smoke flavor than more. The line I say to most everyone who asks about getting into the hobby is they have got to learn how to use their smoker.
Thanks Bob!

Back