Insulation question

Mark Erskine

TVWBB Member
Newbie here!
I've been reading the modification area, and see many entries about insulating the WSM.
Living in western Washington state, our average outdoor temps this time of year hover around 40-45 degrees daytime. I've read that wind is the primary killer, but am I wasting money and effort by sewing up an insulation jacket for my smoker? Is 45 degrees not worth it? Or will I save the money back on less coal burnt?

Seems like a good method is welding blanket sewn together with Reflectix in between. I've seen the pre-made jacket on the bbq guru, but I'm guessing it's not big enough for the 22.5 WSM?

I made this smoker jacket recently:

Homemade smoker jacket

The materials cost me about the same as one and a half bags of charcoal, and it paid for itself pretty quickly. It saves charcoal even in warm weather, so I'll probably use it all year round.

-Mark.

Hey Mark... I just keep the Kettles and WSMs out of the wind. Some here on the forum made a portable and effective windbreak out of a sheet of plywood and several hinges. True that one may use more fuel to maintain the desired temps.

joe

It's 2 above here now... 45' is a heat wave here... I've grilled in -5'F and smoked in +7'F (this season) with no wind and no problems.
The cold won't kill ya, the wind, however, will.

I agree with Jim....he cooks everyday, no matter what! ... it's the wind
icon_smile.gif

Mark, Keri C has made an insulation jacket for her WSM. The pics are on this forum somewhere. Maybe Doug D. can jump in an give the actual location. But, it was a pretty neat setup that didn't cost a lot of money and also acted as a wind screen

Chris has a new "home page" about cooking in the wind, rain and cold . . . clicking on that new winterscene will take you directly to a few ideas for quilting your WSM.
Again, i'd rather quilt myself steppin outside every now&then than quilt the smoker.

I've made a plywood windshield using a standard sheet 4 x 8 cut in 3rds then bolting stainless hinges so I can fold it up and carry it away.
Being a 1/2" 4x8 sheet of plywood, it does weigh enough to make it awkward to move or carry, so notice a single handle I mounted to ease the pain.
It's a nice idea I stole from (of course) this web site. Everything I modified to my grills and WSM I copied from other people here.
Another reason this site is soo dang helpful
icon_cool.gif

Back