Installed on Backwoods, Stumps, Primo, etc.?

D Jennings

TVWBB Fan
Anyone know if one of these has been installed on a Backwoods, Stumps, etc. type smoker? How about a Primo XL?

The more I read about these things the better I like it. In addition to my WSM, I'll soon be adding to one of the above smoker types.

Your imagination is the limit, really.

All the models you mentioned, it's been done for. I rigged up and controlled a Tucker Cooker during Memphis in May BBQ Fest, and just used a dog bowl solution. There's pretty much nothing holding you back from rigging up a fan on practically any smoker, you just gotta figure out the best way. On the WSM, with an Auber brand fan, it's super easy since the fan itself has a strong spring to help keep it attached.

On other cooker where it's not that simple, there's adapter plates, but then the easiest solution that's most common is really just taking an appropriate sized dog bowl, cutting a hole in it, bolting/mounting the fan to it, then mounting the bowl over the damper vent. Add a little nomex gasket to help seal it up nicely and you've got yourself a fan solution.

Thanks for reply. Mine will be going on a 270 Smoker(not a lot of people know about these, made in Lexington, VA), fabbing a mount shouldn't be too hard. I would be curious for the cabinet smokers if the 6 CFM fan that most use on the Heatermeter is adequate? I suspect it is.

At this point I'm debating on building my own Heatermeter or buying a completed unit from one of our members.

Last edited:
I own a stumps and 2 primo's. I think your biggest challenge would be an adapter plate. Truth be told, the Primo really doesn't need one. I've ran my Primo 30hrs and not fluctuate hardly at all unless I wanted it to. The stumps and backwoods...Good luck running those with out. I just went the Guru route with the stumps. I have the Digi Q with the smaller fan(I think it's 5-6cfm) for my XL baby and I half to restrict the opening to less then 50% air flow. So it doesn't take much to get those gravity feeds to run. They just don't run with out them. I don't know what would be cheaper? Build your own then buy a the fan and adapter from Guru? Reinventing the whole thing? Or just buying a Guru?

Last edited:

Back