Indoor Roaster/Smoker Butterball Turkry 1st run!

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
I stumbled on this roaster/smoker on Amazon few weeks ago, read a lot of great reviews, saying it works really good. I bought it direct from Oster for $35 bucks with free shipping. I've been BBQ for over 20 yrs, and have plenty of Briskets, ribs, etc under my belt, but with El Nino hitting California, and where I live in the mtns, snow, wind, etc, my outdoor grilling will be cut short this winter. I said what the heck, lets try this roaster/smoker out. They say use outdoors only, but many on Amazon users have used it indoors. I used some fruit wood for smoke, that I brought back from a trip to Texas back in Sept. It was a small, 10lb Butterball turkey, I set the cooker to 350F and let it go.

I had to turn on my kitchen exhaust fan, as well as open up the back window, but the smoke was manageable, it only billowed for about 20 minutes, then a steady stream of small amount of smoke. I had the vent barely open for the entire cook. It took about 1 hr 20 minutes to get the breast up to 165F, and let it rest for another 10-15 under foil. Boy, was I happy the way the bird looked when the beeper went off! The wood chips were still smoldering and still putting out smoke. I used a cup of water in the bottom of the pan. The turkey was very moist and juicy, and had that perfect amount smoke taste to the meat, not over powering. I was really happy with the results and plan on smoking some Salmon the next time, and maybe some pulled pork. Here are the pics :).

Last edited:
Never seen anything like this before, but it looks ingenious. My wife was impressed to say the least. Might be something to consider in colder weather.

Thanks for posting, Michael!

Michael;
That looks like a perfectly roasted bird! Unfortunately, that won't work in my kitchen. I have one of those "fake" exhaust fans. It just recirculates the air. It doesn't exhaust it. I would smoke up my whole house with this. However, just maybe, I could do that in my barn (I have a good exhaust fan there). Hmmm

Dale53

That bird looks like it just came out of a WSM. Beautiful! Nice little gadget you've got there. Looks like it'll serve you well.

Some Weber wooden handles and a Weber logo and you could use it in public without fear!!

Just like I do;)

S1035690_zps3rvx9yc5.jpg

Never seen one like that before, sure looks like it works really well. Might work well in my garage as I have a fake vent hood in the kitchen too.

Cool roaster Mike. Started to say little but if it accommodates a 20lb. turkey it's not that little. We have a covered deck in the back yard and I might give it a go out there. Not sure I'd be bold enough to go the kitchen route. Great looking bird too. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for all the great comments, I was surprised how well this roaster/smoker worked out. I will have to find some Weber stickers to put on the roaster, lol. It snowed last night, thought I'd share some scenery photos. Happy Smoking and BBQ out there!!!!!

Time to dig out my car.

My back yard.

Plow came by this street near me.

Lake Gregory, open during the summer with water slides, paddles boards, etc. It's icing up in some parts.

The sun is so hard trying come out!

Have a great weekend everybody!!!!!

turkey looks like it came out perfect. Great color too. Nice pics of your snow. Its all heading our way now.

Wow, what scenery to eat roasted turkey by!

Do you have troubles with snapping evergreen trees in this kind of weather? Around here, the carolina pines don't take kindly too it.

Last edited:
Wow, what scenery to eat roasted by!

Do you have troubles with snapping evergreen trees in this kind of weather? Around here, the carolina pines don't take to kindly to it.

Yes, we get a lot of down branches, power outages, etc, especially if we have a "Wet" snow. Where I live, I don't get those nice dry puffy snow flakes, except for those rare cold Alaska storms. Higher up the mtn, near the ski resorts, they get more of the light fluffy stuff :).

Back