Independence Day Ribs on the Hook

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
OK, here's my cook on the 4th. Went with a couple racks of Baby Backs. Had planned to do some beans on the grill but ran into a problem with the recipe. OK.... a little operator error too! Had a couple of bakers so I went with that. Lastly some fresh corn rounded things off. Here's a few pic's

Racks rubbed down with Stanley's Rib Rub. I love that stuff.

DSC_3634 (Large).JPG

Got the ribs on the 22 WSM using the Hunsaker Rack. Ran smoker at 225. Pecan for smoke. Just let them hang for the entire cook, 4 1/2 hours.

DSC_3637 (Large).JPG

Went with twice baked. This is a Weber recipe. Sour cream, whole milk, Dijon mustard. Gruyere cheese, salt and pepper.

DSC_3642 (Large).JPG

This was around the 3 hour mark with the ribs.

DSC_3645 (Large).JPG

DSC_3649 (Large).JPG

About 4 hours.

DSC_3650 (Large).JPG

Quick shot of the sides.

DSC_3657 (Large).JPG

Brief rest.

DSC_3659 (Large).JPG

Plated it up.

DSC_3663 (Large).JPG

This was a fun cook. The ribs were very good, moist and tender with wonderful flavor. Weak to none on the smoke ring, but I don't really care. Sides were good too but the beans would have been better. Hope you all had a nice day yesterday and today. Thanks for looking!

Great looking ribs and spuds, Cliff! Any thoughts on differences between hanging ribs, and doing them the traditional way on the grate? I haven't gotten around to that yet....... Also, I presume you did not have the water pan in for this cook? Just hanging over the open coals?

Thanks!

R

And FWIW, I can see a smoke ring.

You have good eyes Jim. :)

Any thoughts on differences between hanging ribs, and doing them the traditional way on the grate? Also, I presume you did not have the water pan in for this cook? Just hanging over the open coals?

It was fun using the rack Rich. Kind of a novelty. I was a little concerned about the lower ribs on each rack getting too well done, but after slicing they seemed uniformly cooked. Saucing might be a bit more cumbersome. As far as capacity to smoke multiple racks, I'd say it's about the same as the traditional method on a grate. I've cooked 9 racks of baby backs on my 22" WSM using rib racks so I'd say they are comparable. I've always been drawn to the UDS, but due to cost and loyalty to Weber, I've stuck with the WSM's. This is a cheaper alternative to give hanging meat a try. Look forward to doing more cooks with it.

Yep, No pan, just hanging over the coals. I probably pulled the lid a few more times to take a peek towards the end of the cook,. I was concerned about inadvertently going caveman and finding one of both of the racks plopped down on the coals. I placed the hooks on the meaty end of the racks and no problems experienced.

Back