Improving the crust on your steak

The author's instructios are derived from here - http://www.cookscountry.com/how-to/steaks/ she provides a link in her article. It brings a technique to light but is very sparse in details.

My guess is her expectation is, after reading her article, you are going to click the link to get further details on the process.

I've actually used this technique a few times with interesting results. I actually mixed my salt with a little bit of cornstarch powder before putting them into the freezer till they firmed up and were bone dry. The key to great crust is an absolutely dry outside of the steak. The corstarch with the dehumdifying aspect of the freezer achieved it. Got my grill as hot as I possibly could, weber performer with lump charcoal, and actually fanned the coals also. It started melting the high temp grommets holding the lid holder on.
Threw a couple thick ribeyes on the grate, and did indeed get an amazing sear/crust. To me it seemed to be a bit of work and I am not sure it was worth the extra effort, but the crust definitly was amazing.

I usually raise the coal grate on my kettle using firebricks and the coal grate from my wsm. This puts a chimney of lump right under the grill grate depending on how you pile it up. That will sear the heck out of anything. I just did a bone-in Rib eye using reverse sear method and cowboy rub with cocoa, cardamom etc and they came out perfect.

I have been using the freezer and cornstarch method for over a year now. Trying on chops tonight.

Last edited:
Seems like just another gimmick that the cavemen would not have tried on their dinosaur steaks.
Ok maybe their freezers were not quite up to snuff, but I can smell those dinosaur steaks grillin from here.

Back