Improved Stuffed Jalapenos (w/ pics)

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
Ok, this is very much personal preference and others certainly may not agree. Why put it here instead of in Recipes? Because I've already posted the recipe in Recipes (be sure to also see my recent "Reply" there): https://tvwbb.com/threads/canned-jalapenos.92371/ . This current topic is more about technique than the recipe and came about because I was so surprised at how different the result was to me. And because I prefer hotter jalapenos.

Ok, that suggests that I've also added some embellishment to the recipe because I recently read this article about what I consider the "dumbing down" of jalapenos -- the cultivation of jalapenos for lower heat -- a definite negative for me: https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2023/05/why-jalapeno-peppers-less-spicy-blame-aggies/ .

My sister and I have often talked about this before finding the article, and now she is trying out the less water option described for the jalapenos that she is growing (she has grown jalapenos and cayenne for years). We had both tried (independently) to improve the heat of our jalapeno dishes (stuffed, jalapeno cheese balls, chili relleno ingredient, etc.) by simply including the diced vein from the peppers (cut in half, remove the veins and seeds, strip off the seeds, dice the some or all of the veins add back to the mix) or mixing in serranos. That helps some, but also doubled the jalapeno preparation time. So I decided to try this alternative -- success!

So I'll just give away the farm now and add a plug for one of my favorite vendors -- Chipotle Texas. In 2010, my wife and I with our Affenpinschers Dante and Mia were driving across Texas on our way home from a long 7-week road trip around West). While stopping for gas near Fort Hancock, TX, I turned to survey the desert-like surroundings and was gob-smacked by a big sign across the way "Chipotle Texas". Obviously I had to investigate and walked over in the July heat to the warehouse style building. The interior was (Is?) open space lined with shelving and containers of various spices -- need I say hot spices? It was actually a little overwhelming and knowing nothing about the place or their products, I settled on an interesting label titled "Zesty Red Boost -- An intense blend of hot chile peppers guaranteed to ignite you taste buds". A bold message printed sidways said, "Warning! Use extreme caution when using this product. If you have a heart condition, are pregnant or nursing, you should not use this product!" How could I resist -- especially with my heart condition! I have to say that this was one of the best purchases of my cooking life! All these years later I still have about 1/3 of the jar and it's still just as fiery. There are no contents listed, but it definitely includes one or more habanero type peppers. Not just hot (very) but wonderfully flavorful. (Try it sparingly with your eggs!)

Ok, back to my "technique" post. About a year ago, I was reading another article which suggested using jalapeno or chipotle powder as a nice boost for some recipes. My thoughts immediately went to www.ChipotleTexas.com and so did my search. I found and bought both the jalapeno and chipotle powder (large size) and have used them at times as an add for many different cooks. As you'll see below when I finally get around to my "new" stufffed jalapenos ("poppers"?, no not deep fried -- but, hmmm!) this is a significant ingredient.
J Powder.jpg

And now -- the recipe and technique. Halve and clean the jalapenos (I use a sharp knife and try to leave a nub of of the vein, rather than scraping clean with a spoon). Instead of mixing the cheeses (and actually, for this, I only used cream cheese and grated sharp cheddar). Before adding anything else, use a blunt knife or spreader to line the half jalapeno with about 1/8" of cream cheese (softened helps). (See the pic below.) THEN add the strip of thin (1/16" is best) ham (Virginia Baked Ham is best -- it's mildly salt cured rather than sugar cured). I broke up the shredded cheddar with a knife and added my Cajun spice mix (pic).
J Early Prep.jpg

Using my hand to mix and further break up, the mix was then squeezed together a long (2"?) lump, before pressing it into a prepped pepper filling it to just very slightly rounded (it will swell and may drip when heated -- don't want to lose that delicious filling). After filling. add a layer of Panko (spiced bread crumbs and/or corn meal, crushed Tostitos...) press it in a bit and sprinkle with a bit of jalapeno powder for enhanced heat and flavor. This pic shows the various stages and the ways I experimented with adding the toppings. No real difference, but for visual appeal I prefer the order I just listed.
J Late Prep.jpg

And now, time to grill. Get the grill to 350-400*, clean as you like, and add the peppers between the burners. (Important: You need to use your grill as you understand it. I have added an additional grate about 6-7" above my Genesis main grate and do most of my grilling at that level (steaks and burgers always go at the main flame level)). The jalapenos cook at temp for about 10-20 minutes or whenever I like them that day. 10 minutes leaves the pepper a bit crunchy, at 20 it will be cooked soft with a crunchier topping, 30 minutes can give a nice char all over :giggle: . Do keep an eye on these until you get to know how yours will develop. If they tilt and threaten to spill the content, adjust them. If they swell up and threaten to spill the contents, poke them with a fork to settle. In other words, cook as needed. If they look like these, you should be pleased. (These were done before I tried adding the jalapeno powder -- still wonderful.)
J Done.jpg

In general, since I mostly am grilling for myself, I usually cook over the two outer burners of of my 2010 Genesis E-330 Special Edition (with the limited time extension tables/cabinets offered only in 2011 (I think). It's an awesome grill and with the second level grate, offers me incredible control of any cook including pizza on the grates, brisket, pork butt, quesadillas on my cast iron pans and other normal and abnormal foods. These stuffed jalapenos do really well on that upper level.

Even if you don't opt for the spicier upgrade, do consider trying this layering technique for assembling and grilling the jalapenos. I don't know why, but they definitely are better (to me) than simply mixing the ingredients together.

Ok, a final tip if you've manage to read all the way through. Try making these stuffed jalapenos with only a good goat cheese. Oh, Man! (Not that you can't mix cheeses, but try at least one with just the goat cheese.)

Yeah, we've noticed the dumbing down of jalapenos that are so mild now, they are like bell peppers. It's almost impossible to find them with a decent heat level. Even the plants that we grow is a crapshoot.
I've taken to mincing Thai chilies and incorporating them into the cheese mixture. I'm going to have to get my hands on some of that jalapeno powder.
Great post and thanks for sharing!

Ok, a final tip if you've managed to read all the way through. Try making these stuffed jalapenos with only a good goat cheese. Oh, Man! (Not that you can't mix cheeses, but try at least one with just the goat cheese.)
I decided to add to this thread because of some experimenting I did last evening -- this is basically about the goat cheese. But a quick comment: Someone recently said that I seem to make poppers a lot -- yes, at least once a week, sometimes appetizer for a
meal, sometimes a I do a bunch to also put away for later in the week. Refridgerated until cooked, it's easy to add 2 or 3 halves to a meal and there's no difference to the final result.

On with last evening's experiment. Wanting to try something a little different and having recently bought an excellent goat cheese from Costco ( Kirkland), that cheese became my focus. Instead of doing the base layer with cream cheese (see OP above), goat was the base for all but two in which i used feta (another goat cheese right?). All also had the mid layer of VA baked ham, and were topped with a good sprinkle of my low-salt Cajun spice and a light sprinkle of salt. One of the halves I stuffed with the goat cheese and added a thin layer of shredded sharp cheddar (all got varying amounts of the cheddar). One half was stuffed with feta ( would I notice any difference?) And the other lined with feta was stuffed with cheddar. In two halves I used a pepper-length thin (1/8"?) slice of Gruyere with cheddar over the top. (After years ago staying a week in a hotel a few miles from the village of Gruyere, SZ, where our continental breakfasts included a slab of fresh Gruyere, I've loved that cheese. Not intended to be eaten cold out of the fridge!) The rest were stuffed with the grated cheddar.

The two at the top here are the goat cheese and feta filled ones. The other feta lined one was only notable for being less tasteful.
20230827_173530.jpg

Any preferences -- you bet! I was surprised that the feta options were basically neutralized. The one that was only lined with feta and with the cheddar filling was unnoticeable to me. The feta filled was better, but I won't use feta again in any way. All the goat cheese lined were excellent -- especially the one with goat cheese filling. Really special were the two with gruyere! I'll be using that a lot more when I have it. (Btw, don't mistake other Swiss cheeses for gruyere. Swiss is ok, but gruyere is different and special.) The ones with the cheddar only filling were, IMO, somewat more tasty than using cream cheese as the liner.

So why do all this? I enjoy it and am always interested in variations. Cream cheese (including some as a filler) will likely remain my staple with sharp cheddar filling, but I fully intend to use the goat cheese in various was when I have it. (Note that I've had various goat cheeses, but the Kirkland is what i mostly prefer and typically buy. But I will continue to try others -- a few can be quite special.)

I hope y'all enjoyed this tadte fest and may try some options yourself! (If you noticed that I didn't use jalopeno powder, it's because my Cajun spice is quite spicy.)

Ok, this is very much personal preference and others certainly may not agree. Why put it here instead of in Recipes? Because I've already posted the recipe in Recipes (be sure to also see my recent "Reply" there): https://tvwbb.com/threads/canned-jalapenos.92371/ . This current topic is more about technique than the recipe and came about because I was so surprised at how different the result was to me. And because I prefer hotter jalapenos.

Ok, that suggests that I've also added some embellishment to the recipe because I recently read this article about what I consider the "dumbing down" of jalapenos -- the cultivation of jalapenos for lower heat -- a definite negative for me: https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2023/05/why-jalapeno-peppers-less-spicy-blame-aggies/ .

My sister and I have often talked about this before finding the article, and now she is trying out the less water option described for the jalapenos that she is growing (she has grown jalapenos and cayenne for years). We had both tried (independently) to improve the heat of our jalapeno dishes (stuffed, jalapeno cheese balls, chili relleno ingredient, etc.) by simply including the diced vein from the peppers (cut in half, remove the veins and seeds, strip off the seeds, dice the some or all of the veins add back to the mix) or mixing in serranos. That helps some, but also doubled the jalapeno preparation time. So I decided to try this alternative -- success!

So I'll just give away the farm now and add a plug for one of my favorite vendors -- Chipotle Texas. In 2010, my wife and I with our Affenpinschers Dante and Mia were driving across Texas on our way home from a long 7-week road trip around West). While stopping for gas near Fort Hancock, TX, I turned to survey the desert-like surroundings and was gob-smacked by a big sign across the way "Chipotle Texas". Obviously I had to investigate and walked over in the July heat to the warehouse style building. The interior was (Is?) open space lined with shelving and containers of various spices -- need I say hot spices? It was actually a little overwhelming and knowing nothing about the place or their products, I settled on an interesting label titled "Zesty Red Boost -- An intense blend of hot chile peppers guaranteed to ignite you taste buds". A bold message printed sidways said, "Warning! Use extreme caution when using this product. If you have a heart condition, are pregnant or nursing, you should not use this product!" How could I resist -- especially with my heart condition! I have to say that this was one of the best purchases of my cooking life! All these years later I still have about 1/3 of the jar and it's still just as fiery. There are no contents listed, but it definitely includes one or more habanero type peppers. Not just hot (very) but wonderfully flavorful. (Try it sparingly with your eggs!)

Ok, back to my "technique" post. About a year ago, I was reading another article which suggested using jalapeno or chipotle powder as a nice boost for some recipes. My thoughts immediately went to www.ChipotleTexas.com and so did my search. I found and bought both the jalapeno and chipotle powder (large size) and have used them at times as an add for many different cooks. As you'll see below when I finally get around to my "new" stufffed jalapenos ("poppers"?, no not deep fried -- but, hmmm!) this is a significant ingredient.
View attachment 71207

And now -- the recipe and technique. Halve and clean the jalapenos (I use a sharp knife and try to leave a nub of of the vein, rather than scraping clean with a spoon). Instead of mixing the cheeses (and actually, for this, I only used cream cheese and grated sharp cheddar). Before adding anything else, use a blunt knife or spreader to line the half jalapeno with about 1/8" of cream cheese (softened helps). (See the pic below.) THEN add the strip of thin (1/16" is best) ham (Virginia Baked Ham is best -- it's mildly salt cured rather than sugar cured). I broke up the shredded cheddar with a knife and added my Cajun spice mix (pic).
View attachment 71209

Using my hand to mix and further break up, the mix was then squeezed together a long (2"?) lump, before pressing it into a prepped pepper filling it to just very slightly rounded (it will swell and may drip when heated -- don't want to lose that delicious filling). After filling. add a layer of Panko (spiced bread crumbs and/or corn meal, crushed Tostitos...) press it in a bit and sprinkle with a bit of jalapeno powder for enhanced heat and flavor. This pic shows the various stages and the ways I experimented with adding the toppings. No real difference, but for visual appeal I prefer the order I just listed.
View attachment 71210

And now, time to grill. Get the grill to 350-400*, clean as you like, and add the peppers between the burners. (Important: You need to use your grill as you understand it. I have added an additional grate about 6-7" above my Genesis main grate and do most of my grilling at that level (steaks and burgers always go at the main flame level)). The jalapenos cook at temp for about 10-20 minutes or whenever I like them that day. 10 minutes leaves the pepper a bit crunchy, at 20 it will be cooked soft with a crunchier topping, 30 minutes can give a nice char all over :giggle: . Do keep an eye on these until you get to know how yours will develop. If they tilt and threaten to spill the content, adjust them. If they swell up and threaten to spill the contents, poke them with a fork to settle. In other words, cook as needed. If they look like these, you should be pleased. (These were done before I tried adding the jalapeno powder -- still wonderful.)
View attachment 71213

In general, since I mostly am grilling for myself, I usually cook over the two outer burners of of my 2010 Genesis E-330 Special Edition (with the limited time extension tables/cabinets offered only in 2011 (I think). It's an awesome grill and with the second level grate, offers me incredible control of any cook including pizza on the grates, brisket, pork butt, quesadillas on my cast iron pans and other normal and abnormal foods. These stuffed jalapenos do really well on that upper level.

Even if you don't opt for the spicier upgrade, do consider trying this layering technique for assembling and grilling the jalapenos. I don't know why, but they definitely are better (to me) than simply mixing the ingredients together.

Ok, a final tip if you've manage to read all the way through. Try making these stuffed jalapenos with only a good goat cheese. Oh, Man! (Not that you can't mix cheeses, but try at least one with just the goat cheese.)
Looks and sounds great Rich! Jalapeños are my favorite fruit and I love them stuffed and grilled. I've got some home-grown, dried chipotle flakes that are hotter than 7734 and always keep cream cheese and cheddar in the fridge. Will be trying your technique soon. Thanks for posting.

Looks awesome Rich. Since you mention that cheese is your focus, may I suggest Goat Cheese? I love poppers as does everyone else in the family, but my daughter can't have dairy, but she can have Goat Cheese. So I made a batch with her in mind and it turns out, I really like it and it's been my go to several times

Back