Illinois > Des Plaines: T-Bob's Smoked Bar-B-Q (CLOSED)

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Russell's it ain't.

Earlier this month I was in the Chicago area and my hotel was within walking distance of T-Bob's Smoked Bar-B-Q on highway 83 in Des Plaines. I didn't have a chance to stop for dinner because I had plans for pizza but T-Bob's opens at 8:30 so I was able to visit for breakfast the next morning.

T-BobsBarBQDesPlainesIL20150502_1.jpg

T-BobsBarBQDesPlainesIL20150502_2.jpg

This is the breakfast sandwich made with eggs, optional fried jalapeno bits, cheese, and brisket on a French roll. Good stuff and a great alternative to a hotel or fast food breakfast; the brisket (which T-Bob's always slices except for a small snack-size sandwich) had a mild smoke flavor and the "morning sauce" was tangy and not too sweet. Unfortunately I wasn't able to have any other meals at T-Bob's but if I'm ever in the area again I'll definitely try to make a stop to check out more of the menu. Actually, I could've eaten more than the sandwich but I had a full day of Chicago hot dogs and Italian beef ahead of me so I didn't want to be full right off the bat!

T-BobsBarBQDesPlainesIL20150502_3.jpg

T-BobsBarBQDesPlainesIL20150502_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone told you Russells was real BBQ? T-Bobs is real enough compared to them.
Did you go to Lou's for pizza?

No one's ever told me that about Russell's, but I've definitely heard the opposite.;)

I actually went to the Barnaby's in Des Plaines. That was the pizza we ate when I was growing up outside of Rockford and until that Friday I hadn't had it in probably 35+ years. It was quite a bit like how I remember it!

That Barnaby's on Touhy used to have drawings for Cubs tickets and Wolves hockey tickets. It has been there for a long long time.
The pizza is still good and its only about 5 minutes away from me.

That's a mind blower, I thought that Barnaby's location was closed for a long time now. It must just be the times I've driven by there, usually on the way to and back from O'Hare. I always liked their pizza, there was one closer to me in Schaumburg that I used to go to.

Russells wow that brings back memories. My parents used to take me there in the 50s, used to love the place.

Russells is still there. The sauce is still the same, but the food has not kept up well.........
When we were living in California when my aunt passed away, Barb and I went back for the funeral it was somewhere around 1995. My cousin, Barb and I went to Russells for lunch before we headed to the airport. I ended up getting six bottles of their BBQ sauce to take home. Good stuff, very different from anything else I ever had.

Back