I think I messed up...how to clean the bowl?

Allen S.

TVWBB Member
OK, guys, Im going home tomorrow from my honeymoon in NOLA and I have a job to do with the WSM. Let me explain - Last week after I cooked for the wedding party, I didn't have time to let the WSM cool down and then clean it before i left for NOLA, so I just covered it up and left it. I saw the water bowl and it is a MESS as I didn't cover it in foil before I cooked (this is where I messed up). Anyway, what is the best way to clean the bowl now with a weeks worth of drippings in it all crusted over? What can I do with it and not damage the bowl?

Im gonna foil the bowl from now on.

If it won't come off with a Brillo pad or Scotch-Brite after a soak in hot water, you could try oven cleaner. Spray it on, and then seal up the pan in a trash bag to keep it from evaporating. Use gloves, well-ventilated area, etc. There are cold oven formula cleaners, and similar cleaners labeled as grill cleaners available.

I think the problems with cleanup of the bowl is a bit exaggerated. Soak it in water with a general dish detergent, use lots of hot water, leave overnight, scrub, and I think it will be clean. Soap and water, given the time to work does wonders. So does scrubbing pads, but leave the bowl overnight in water and soap as a first try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think the problems with cleanup of the bowl is a bit exaggerated. Soak it in water with a general dish detergent, use lots of hot water, leave overnight, scrub, and I think it will be clean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm with you. Clean it. But if it isn't clean clean it isn't a big deal. Any adhering crusty deposits are just carbon at this point. Foil over it and carry on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think the problems with cleanup of the bowl is a bit exaggerated. Soak it in water with a general dish detergent, use lots of hot water, leave overnight, scrub, and I think it will be clean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm with you. Clean it. But if it isn't clean clean it isn't a big deal. Any adhering crusty deposits are just carbon at this point. Foil over it and carry on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Agree.

Soak it for a few days if needed. But whatever remains is no problem. Look at the inside walls of your WSM - it's not 'clean' either. It's not like you eat off it.
icon_wink.gif

What a ***** to clean this thing! The crud was cooked on and it was pretty nasty. Took me a few hours to get it scraped off. Needless to say, I foiled it and wont make that mistake again!

With the exception of the grates the food sits on, I go with the theory of if the water hose don't get it off it can stay there. I do foil the pan though.

Back