I LOVE FALL!!! Grill Roasted Chicken & Veg with Other Commentary/Pics

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
The weather in St. Louis is cooling down as of late - supposed to get hot again this coming week but night time temps are now consistently in the 60's. Grass is looking good, Octoberfest beers are on the shelf, and I needed to unwind a bit so here's what I did, (I promise there's grilling pics too). I go tta live it up before I'm knee deep in raking leaves ;)

First off, the front yard is looking pretty good, I killed all my grass back in August, and had it aerated and reseeded on labor day weekend. I mowed for the first time this week - pretty happy with the results so far! This is brand new baby fescue grass. It'll probably take a few more weeks before it's looking more "adult-like'.

GRASS.jpg

Doesn't go with the theme, but I'm re-trying beers I haven't had in a long time. I still don't like this one;

RED STRIPE.jpg

After I choked down that nasty bottle of beer, I got the chicken ready. Blotted the bird dry with paper towel, oiled it up a bit, and seasoned with Lawry's Seasoning Salt with Black Pepper, and put the bird in the fridge for a while

SEASONED.jpg

So then I tried this beer - Autumn Lager from Breckenridge Brewing - basically a Dunkel - pretty dang good, similar to Shiner Bock if you're familiar with that one. Much more "roasted barley" flavor than a typical Oktoberfest.

Breck Autumn ale.jpg

Whilst enjoying beer #2, I lit the charcoal. Tonight, I used up most of my Jealous Devil briqs. These briqs are pretty expensive, and I don't really think there's anything special about them, other than the graphics on the packaging :geek: o_O :whistle:

charcoal - package.jpg

After about 20 minutes I spread the coals out for indirect cooking, leaving just a few lit coals in the middle. I figured this was probably not going to be enough fuel, but I gave it a shot anyway. Chicken went on around 5:45

IMG-4020.jpg

Here's the chicken on the grill. I've got a beer can stand, with brussels and parsips and about a half a stick of butter in the pan. It wenton around 5:45 ish - the grill hit around 275 with all the vents wide open, and a small piece of pecan on top of the charcoal. I didn't peek until about 6:30. At that point, I added some lump charcoal to both sides to help get the temperature up, and started basting the chicken with the butter from the pan. This pic was taken around 7:00

Chek on Grill.jpg

All that basting made me thirsty, so I grabbed another beer - Breckenridge Oktoberfest is highly recommended.

Breck Oct.jpg

Chicken was done around 7:40 ish - I removed from the pan, carved into quarters and put the pieces back on top of the veggies for this pic - looked pretty good and tasted even better. The veggies were just about perfect and the chicken was juicy and well seasoned. The skin wasn't crispy but this was still better than any grocery store rotisserie bird, and I had fun making it. Happy Autumn everyone!

finished chicken.jpg

Nice cook, looks really good. I'm not much of a beer drinker but I do like the autumn brews though and the temps here in the high country of AZ are cooling off also so it's time to get a few brews and enjoy before the snow fly's.

John, I think you did a great job with EVERYTHING!!!! I really enjoyed reading and looking at your pictures. Thank you!!!

@John K BBQ, Red Stripe is only drinkable on a beach in the Caribbean when it's at least 100ºF! :) (NOTE: The Red Stripe MUST be ice cold!!!)

Love the lawn (we have no water here), and the grub is fine!! :)

R

Great looking lawn, great cook, and have to agree on fall….cooler temps, great bbq weather, and college football on all day Saturday, doesn’t get any better !!!

Holy crap - I'll stop complaining about squirrels digging in my yard.... at least their not wearing armor!
Even though Armadillo are hard to trap, I set my live animal trap last night. Well needless to say no armadillo, instead I caught a skunk! I had to call a wildlife & pest removal pro this morning....$85, & away went the skunk!

Even though Armadillo are hard to trap, I set my live animal trap last night. Well needless to say no armadillo, instead I caught a skunk! I had to call a wildlife & pest removal pro this morning....$85, & away went the skunk!
Skunks are pretty hard on a yard too, there aren't too many armadillos in the midwest luckily, at least not in northern Illinois.

Back