I have a confession to make...

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I have a confession to make. Until tonight, I had NEVER done a pork steak on the grill by direct. I have done several by searing and then braising. I just assumed (I KNOW what happens when I assume...:rolleyes:) that pork shoulder would just be too tough to direct grill. After all, we cooked them whole "low and slow" for hours to make tender pulled pork. The braised pork steaks were all 1" thick.

A few days ago, my wife was at the local small super market and they had ½" pork steaks on sale. She picked up a couple and asked me to grill them. Well, I was skeptical but I kept my own counsel. I merely put a light coat of EVOO on the steaks and sprinkled with McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. I lit about 3/4 chimney of used and new Kingsford Original and spread it evenly over the bottom of my little 18.5 OTS. The heat level was about medium. I cleaned the grates after a warm up and put the steaks on with the cover on. Five minutes later, I looked at them. I swapped their positions and after a couple more minutes flipped them. I also reheated a couple of ABT's that were left overs. My wife made chopped kale and a baked potato. I browned the steaks nicely and figured that they were properly cooked and pulled them off the grill.

I couldn't believe how good these steaks were. The flavor was absolutely excellent and while there was just a bit of chew, they were tender and juicy. All of this was strictly counter to my pre-conceived notions. You can bet on one thing, there will be thin, pork steaks, in my house in the future (and especially, ON MY GRILL)!

Now, I know what all of those favorable comments from the regulars on this forum when picturing their perfectly grilled pork steaks. Can I join the pork steak group:o?

Dale53

Sounds real good to me. There's a fine line when cooking pork steaks between done to perfection and over cooked. Pork is bread leaner today compared to the past and that makes it prone to becoming dry and tough if not cooked just right. I like to do the pork loin roasts myself. I season them, sear them, and then roast indirect to about 165.

Mark;
I have a pork "bone in" loin roast in the freezer, now. I will be doing it in the near future. I have great expectations....

Dale53

My wife is a convert also. When people say they aren't a fan of pork chops, she always reply with "You haven't had his yet" :D
She was a beef girl, but I've shown her the porky ways. lol As a matter of fact, we bought a 4 pack from the grocery store today.

Robert when we were kids my Mom used to make them like this, she took the thinner cut chops and grilled them very quick on both sides, very lightly browned and then stick them in a CI on the flame for a couple of minutes in some onions and green peppers she had sauteed. Little salt and pepper and fresh garlic in it.
Delicious.

Pork steaks are the best!!!
Thanks to this site and Jim Lampe I get my butcher to cut them @ 1.5 inches thick.

Robert, I have never had pork steak yet. What am I missing?

Bob, look up some of Jim Lampe or Bob Correll's cooks. If you don't go buy a pork steak and cook it after seeing their posts I'll eat my hat. Those guys are the pork steak kings.

growing up, when my dad did BBQ, it was pork steaks. he'd grill them then then cover them in homemade sauce in a pot and stir them around until they were coated, then onto the plate. it was awesome. while not technically q due to not being low and slow, it was something we all liked. to this day, I love me some pork steaks and when I do q, I use my own variations of his sauce.

Bob H.
Just in case that there are some misconceptions, a pork steak is simply sliced, bone in, Boston Butt. I have even had a whole Boston Butt cut up for them (they were 1" thick and I seared and then braised them in home made BBQ Sauce for St. Louis Pork Steaks).

The ones I am talking about in the first post are simply the sliced steaks (bone in) and grilled on a medium hot grill. I flipped them a couple of times during the cook. I went entirely on appearance. When they were nicely browned, they were done.

My wife suggested that they tasted like pork chops USED to taste (before they started raising skinny hogs). Buy a couple and try them. I believe that you'll like them as well as I do. Others on here got me interested (Jim Lampe and Bob Correll for a couple that I can recall) as Dwain mentions above.

Dale53

My wife suggested that they tasted like pork chops USED to taste (before they started raising skinny hogs).
I couldn't agree more; the extra fat of the steak really adds the flavor. Grilled pork steak is one of my favorite weeknight meals...I think I'll take some out of the freezer for tomorrow!

lemme tellya Robert, before I signed-up to this joint, everytime I saw pork steaks at the store, I moved on.
I remember so well my mom boiling them or frying them or whatever she did to them to copy the exact taste of tractor tire.
I HATED PORK STEAKS! NeverEVER would eet them again.

well, then comes along this character titled BOB CORRELL.
From the Saint Louis area, No Less. THEE Pork Steak Capital Of The World!
Showing off his merits on the PORK STEAK.
I see all this... thinking, at LEAST someone likes rubber.
Then another post of PORK STEAKS.. and ANOTHER....! and they're lookin' better and better AND BETTER every time!

ok.... there MUST be something to this... I'm thinking, if some schmuck (JOKIN' BOB!) in STL can cook rubber and it looks good AND tastes good, SO CAN I.

so, I became friends with this schmuck down in STLouie to pick his mind on HOW TO COOK GREAT PORK STEAKS....

the weird thing is.................. He Told Me!!

Fast and High Heat or l o w & s l o w .... Pork steaks are certainly a staple in this home.
More folks should IGNORE this post, as the popularity of the pork steak RAISES THE PRICE:p

Back