Hung my ribs for the first time using the Hunsaker Rib Hanger

AlbertHui

I recently got a Hunsaker Stainless Steel Rib Hanger for my 18.5” WSM. I have to say, it is awesome!!

I hung my ribs right over the coals (KBB) for 2 1/2 hours then wrapped them with butter, brown sugar, and sriracha, then put them back in on the top rack with an empty water pan for another hour. They came out perfect, just a step or so before it reached fall off the bone.

My question for the experts out there is have you tried hanging ribs with a sugar based rub? I used SPG on these ribs for hanging because I was afraid the fire would burn a rub with sugar in it. But I do enjoy a sweet heat rub and want to do that next time.

I recently got a Hunsaker Stainless Steel Rib Hanger for my 18.5” WSM. I have to say, it is awesome!!

I hung my ribs right over the coals (KBB) for 2 1/2 hours then wrapped them with butter, brown sugar, and sriracha, then put them back in on the top rack with an empty water pan for another hour. They came out perfect, just a step or so before it reached fall off the bone.

My question for the experts out there is have you tried hanging ribs with a sugar based rub? I used SPG on these ribs for hanging because I was afraid the fire would burn a rub with sugar in it. But I do enjoy a sweet heat rub and want to do that next time.
I use Harry Soo's Slap yo Daddy rub and it has plenty of sugar in it which produces a nice bark. And I do ribs at 275F. However, I keep a clay saucer on the water pan bracket because I don't want my hanging ribs to be inches away from direct heat source. I have had nothing but very very good results. Ive watched videos of people hanging them directly over the coals. And while they insist they are the best ribs they've made, the bottom ends closest to the coals always look dried out to me.... to each is own......

The temp on the WSM was right at 285 throughout the cook. So it was up there. Looking through the door, I’d say the ribs were about 5 inches from the coal. I didn’t get burnt ends on the last couple ribs, but I did pull them after 2 1/2 hours to wrap. Maybe next time, I’ll try to hang them all the way to finish and see if the bottom ribs are still ok.

I will say this, next time, I’ll put a sheet of foil on the bottom under the charcoal grate. The juice from the ribs left a nice hard crust at the bottom of the cooker. This morning I left some plain water to soak it for about 10 minutes and the wire brush took the crust right off the bottom.

Anyone using the Hunsaker Vortex Plate to cover your WSM Charcoal Ring? If so, what kind of results are you getting in controlling the Temperature?

I’m only using the OEM charcoal grate and ring. I did purchase a 2nd grate to crisscross the bottom and keep the smaller pieces from falling out, then used wire to secure both grates and the charcoal ring as one unit.

I really like the design of the Hunsaker vortex plate, and can see the science behind it, but so far my system has been working, so no need to change it for now.

I’m only using the OEM charcoal grate and ring. I did purchase a 2nd grate to crisscross the bottom and keep the smaller pieces from falling out, then used wire to secure both grates and the charcoal ring as one unit.

I really like the design of the Hunsaker vortex plate, and can see the science behind it, but so far my system has been working, so no need to change it for now.
Thanx for the reply and I recently purchased the Hunsaker Vortex Plate for my WSM 18" Classic which still needs a trial run with my Gateway Rib Hanger.

Back