Hung 3 chickens on my 18.5 WSM

AlbertHui

I spatchcocked 3 chickens and on the WSM with the Hunsaker hanging rack they went!

With the top vent wide open, 2 bottom vents fully closed and the remaining vent about 3/4 of the way open, I maintained a 300 degree temp for 2 hours pretty easily. There was no water pan, but I did set up the bottom grate in case of any accidents with the hooks. It was about mid 70’s yesterday and I was under cover because it was raining when I first started.

I learned my lesson with my rib cook and put a sheet of foil on the bottom, under the charcoal grate to collect greasy ash (made sure the foil wasn’t covering the vents). This made clean up the next day so much easier!

Attachments

• 6B198FE9-2592-4BDA-9422-71E4778B0CFE.jpeg
    6B198FE9-2592-4BDA-9422-71E4778B0CFE.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 59
Hi AlbertHui, To make the clean up even easier I put a disposable 12" aluminum pizza pan in the bottom, it is the perfect size and it catches all the grease and ash making clean up a snap. If it gets too yucky I just replace it. Usually get 5 or 6 cooks out of one.

Just a note, I have been using the Hunsaker hanging rack for about 9 months and I am not happy with it's stability. I have had it tip over on several ocasions and my ribs wind up in the charcoal covered with ash. I ordered a Lavarock hanger to replace it, I hope it works better.

That’s a great tip. I lined the bottom with a sheet of foil, but grease still gets underneath the foil. I’m going to use the pizza pan next time!

So far, the Hunsaker has been doing good for me. But I’ve only used the ring portion, I haven’t needed the middle part yet. *knock on wood*

Back