Huli Huli Chicken cook

Greg in Utah

TVWBB Pro

I ‘ve had the above link bookmarked for a while and figured it was time to make the chicken . The page includes recipes for a brine, a rub and a sauce . I figured it looked like enough work that I was going to make 2 chickens. (Spoiler - I’m glad I did)

My next bit of thinking involved decisions about which cooker to use. The rotisserie for one of my kettles seems like a solid choice but the 18” WSM is a great, direct heat, chicken cooker, when you remove the water pan .

Fuel was Royal Oak lump with a chunk of mesquite and another of apple . Temps ran between 285 to 315 so it was a relaxed cook. I flipped the birds every 10 minutes.

238885AA-54AF-4742-A17B-98C1F57ADD8F.jpeg
The brined and dry rubbed birds after the first flip.

6C4EAB62-26D4-4607-9C28-5363CFF18B3F.jpeg

Glazed and ready for another 8-10 minutes in the WSM.

65F36A49-03E2-4555-9AE4-3FA6D49B5CA5.jpeg

With the obligatory rice and macaroni salad. I gotta eat ! Mahalo

The best Huli Huli I ever had was on the North Shore of Oahu. This family set up a roadside stand equipped with a car hauler outfitted with huge spits with sprockets on one end connected to a motor with a long bicycle chain. He had a bed of coals in the floor of that trailer with at least 50 chickens spinning over them. They’d take one spit off, slide those chickens into a pan, take one out, whack it with a clever a few times slide it into a foam to go container and hand it to the next person in the crowd. We’d hover around that box at various standup tables scattered around. It was an awesome sight and damn good chicken. I took a picture and posted it here years ago.

Since then, I’ve been trying to replicate Huli Huli. Yours looks awfully close without the sauce. The sauce adds a nice touch. Well done.

There is a Hawaiian/ Polynesian family with a trailer like that here and they make the rounds at various farmers markets.

Good stuff (y)

Barb and I used to go to Maui every year and we would always hunt down a roadside huli huli for some great chicken to take back to the condo when we got there.
I've made it with numerous recipes, it's good but not quite the same as the roadside ones on Maui.
Same with Loco Moco, must be that Hawaiian atmosphere that makes the difference.

The best Huli Huli I ever had was on the North Shore of Oahu. This family set up a roadside stand equipped with a car hauler outfitted with huge spits with sprockets on one end connected to a motor with a long bicycle chain. He had a bed of coals in the floor of that trailer with at least 50 chickens spinning over them. They’d take one spit off, slide those chickens into a pan, take one out, whack it with a clever a few times slide it into a foam to go container and hand it to the next person in the crowd. We’d hover around that box at various standup tables scattered around. It was an awesome sight and damn good chicken. I took a picture and posted it here years ago.

Since then, I’ve been trying to replicate Huli Huli. Yours looks awfully close without the sauce. The sauce adds a nice touch. Well done.
Was it Mikes Huli huli chicken?

My next bit of thinking involved decisions about which cooker to use. The rotisserie for one of my kettles seems like a solid choice but the 18” WSM is a great, direct heat, chicken cooker, when you remove the water pan .
I've got a rotisserie for my 18" WSM, maybe best of both worlds to do this cook? Think I'm gonna put this on the 4th of July plan, thanks for the share!

Back