How to tighten a loose vent damper

MichaelM

TVWBB Super Fan
Lots of posts about how to loosen and replace them, but one of my bottom vents gives me the opposite problem... it's too loose and won't hold position. Thinking I might be able to put something heavy (25lb weight plate?) against one side of the center rivet and give it a few taps with a ball peen hammer to spread the rivet out. Last resort would be drill out the rivet and replace it with a bolt..

Suggestions and thoughts are appreciated!!

M

Of the two courses of action you suggested I think I would go with the drill out and replace with a nut and bolt. You can use a stainless steel acorn nut on the outside, and it won’t look bad.

Put a heavy hammer on the inside against the rivet, smack the outside, on the rivet with your other hammer.. voila!

Both methods will work. Check this out.
The inside and outside tabs complicate the hammer method but I would try that one first. Good luck.

Last edited:
Put a heavy hammer on the inside against the rivet, smack the outside, on the rivet with your other hammer.. voila!

Exactly what I was thinking. I've done this many times on other items and it works awesome.. In the case of the daisy wheel, I am thinking I need to sneak up on right amount of peening to avoid overdoing it..

Both methods will work. Check this out.
The inside and outside tabs complicate the hammer method but I would try that one first. Good luck.

Agreed... Since I can't use the vice, the head of a sledge hammer or the 25lb weight as I mentioned should both be good surrogates.

I'll save the drilling out for a last resort.

I use a 1" magnet clip that you can find in any stationary store and just position it to keep it open to your desired setting.

Back