How to slice/chop/mince an onion

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I've seen a lot of videos on how to cut onions and they all looked overly difficult to me. I thought about making my own video but this guy does it like I've done for at least several years.

Where he does the thin slices, instead of letting them fall, cut perpindicular similar to his large chop sizes where he does the 3x3 & you can get a very fine mince.

Good video. I do pretty similar, but I keep the root end on, just to hold things together.

The method in the video is what we use for our annual freezing of vidallia onions. Produce here in Las Vegas isn't the greatest. We buy bags of Vidallias every spring from the Shriners. We cut them up in two forms. Chopped and slices which we freeze a little on a cookie sheet before putting them in containers for final freezing. 30lbs (before skinning & chopping) usually last us about a year for cooking purposes. If we want whole onions, we have to use the sniff test at the market and hope it isn't too old or strong. You would think since Vegas is close to California, that we could get good onions. I think instead they sent all the rejects!

Back