How to cook wings on Performer?

CraigN

Hi everyone,
Just bought a new performer platinum and I want to try some wings on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to cook them? I assume you want to cook these really slow and indirect.

Should I marinate them in advance? if so any tips?

Thanks in advance.

How do you like your wings - what's your favorite kind? There are so many options. My favorite way is bank 1 hot chimney on one side of the grill and make a quarter+ moon of wings indirect..... usually takes 35-45 minutes to hit >185F, then toss in sauce. Cook with apple wood, don't bother flipping or rotating unless they need it (grill tips over and you have to rearrange things).

I don't marinate unless I'm doing Terriyaki wings, and then I like to marinate them for as long as possible....up to 2 days! Sometimes I'll toss in Walkerswood Jerk seasoning before grilling indirect. Usually I don't rub them or anything, but I just toss them in one of my many perfected sauces! That's just my way, there's a lot of good cooks here that do it differently.

Marinate for two days with favorite BBQ sauce ( saw the BBQ marinate on Diners Drive-Ins And Dives, best BBQ sauced chicken I have ever had). I will never apply BBQ sauce after putting the chicken on the grill again. 400F indirect flip halfway.

Air dry the wings. Use your favourite rub and some oil and mix it all together in a bowl and let it sit for a few hours or over night and mix it up occasionally. Get the grill hot 400-425 and put the wings on indirect for 30-45 minutes.

I marinade them in Good Seasons Italian dressing mix and water, for a few hours (overnight is better). I cook them very similar to how "Clint" does, hot indirect. When they are done, put on your favorite sauce!

Good luck.

I've gone back to direct grilling for wings so I can do more at once. I keep the coals in a single layer and somewhat spaced out, and the wings turn out acceptably crisp.

Marinate overnight (at least) in spicy ranch dressing. Season with Weber's Kickin' Chicken. Cook indirect for about 40-45 minutes. Slide them over to direct for just a couple,to crisp the skin and give it some char/color. Serve immediately with blue cheese dressing and your favorite beer! Enjoy!

In the past, I have cooked all of my chicken (parts, wings, halves, and splatchcocked) indirect on a Weber Kettle. I threw a chimney of lit on one side of the grill behind a couple of fire bricks. It did an excellent job.

However, I have recently discovered using the WSM for chicken. Using my 14.5", I dump one chimney of lit, remove the water pan entirely, and use only the top grate. If I were using the 18.5", I would probably use 1½ Chimneys. I leave ALL vents wide open. I put the chicken on after the WSM attains 200 degrees (very quickly, I might add). After thirty minutes I flip and after about ten minutes I start saucing. I'll sauce at least twice and pull when they are done. Total time for parts will run about 45 minutes. The difference in this method is the skin will be crisper than indirect on the kettle.

NOTE: My new "best method" is to remove all skin (I would NOT remove skin from the wings) and cook without skin. However, I repeat, do not try to remove the skin from the wings. Just sauce them at five minute intervals after the thirty minute flip. Remove when done.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Robert: What kind of sauce (and what's your favorite) for doing wings like that??? I've always enjoyed Sweet Baby Ray's kicked up w/ some Habanero, and someone else posted not long ago adding chili powder to sbr...... I normally just cook & toss in sauce, but Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings & a lot of others call for multiple applications of sauce......and Phil's sound good too :) Heck, I'll even eat a breaded wing-----I'm not ashamed :)

Back