how to??? Beef Ribs

Chris Arnold

TVWBB Super Fan
Folks

following last weekends LNS pork ribs - my wife has got hold of some beef ribs from the butchers...for next weekend
Ideas please - not sure whether grill or bbq - so open to offers??

Chris

Chris - I think we all are assuming you are talking about beef back ribs and not short ribs. Both can be done LNS, but the short ribs really benefit greatly from placing them in a braising liquid as part of their preparation. As Gary mentioned, for beef back ribs you really need to ensure that you allow as much of the fat as possible to render. Otherwise they will really taste greasy. The ribs shown below, as good as they look, actually needed about 30-45 additional minutes of cooking time.

IMAG1156_zps4d1e8d7a.jpg

Yes I meant back ribs and if they look half as good as those I'll be well chuffed
I've spotted one recipe that calls for par-boiling (guess that could be performed over the coals...) but LNS is my preferred option

I love beef ribs! LNS is a must. I cook my ribs @ 250 for 6 hours. I use a 4-1-1 method. Also, I prefer Stubbs orignal bbq sauce for tomato tang.

I do the 3-2-1 method @225-250
Using hickory or oak chunks Seasoned with salt,pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.

This is an awesome recipe for Beef Back ribs from Adam Perry Lang.
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/2010/05/beef_grilling_m.php

I just cooked some on my Backwoods Low n' slow, no foil @ 4 hours. I remove the membrane off the back and then go between the bones and expose the meat, rub them with beef paste and season.

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

I Cadillac Cut them and go all caveman!

IMG_0285.jpg

Here are some nice Wagyu back ribs we got 1st Place at a Rib Cook-off using the APL recipe cooked on a WSM

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

Yes I meant back ribs and if they look half as good as those I'll be well chuffed
I've spotted one recipe that calls for par-boiling (guess that could be performed over the coals...) but LNS is my preferred option

If you are considering par-boiling, I have a suggestion: Give up on trying, and overnight those Bad Boys to me.
Low and slow is the only way to go.

If you are considering par-boiling, I have a suggestion: Give up on trying, and overnight those Bad Boys to me.
Low and slow is the only way to go.

thanks Bill - turned out they were short ribs (see another post) which came out kinda chewy :( did develop a nice bourbon sauce for them though, so will be trying again

Back