How Long To Rest A Pork Butt?

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I'm doing a 6 lb pork butt and was wondering what is the best temp to pull it and how long should I rest it and should I wrap it to rest?

Last edited:
Pull at 203 if you're using it for pulled pork. There will be disagreement here, but resting isn't going to do anything.

Remove from heat when its probe tender. You should be able to wiggle the bone - remove it easily.
It can be pulled then or you can wrap & rest it. Depends upon dinner time.

Letting meat rest allows the juices that were being cooked out to return into the deeper tissues and will result in overall moister meat.

195-203. I've been in a hurry and pulled it in the past and it was dry after a short time so I'd let it rest....

Letting meat rest allows the juices that were being cooked out to return into the deeper tissues and will result in overall moister meat.

This is one of those issues that tend to get touchy, so I won't argue. Just suggest that a search will reveal a pretty much even split, and some scientific evidence that says it does nothing at all. To me, there's enough of a question mark to not quote it as bible. I have never rested a butt for pulled pork, and never had a problem with it being dry.

And ultimately in this case we're talking pulled pork, shredding it into a bunch of pieces that get mixed back together anyway.

I let it rest for a somewhat different reason. After a long cook, I like taking the meat off and letting it rest while I clean up and get ready for dinner. This usually includes getting the sides ready and whatever else needs to be done in the kitchen. With an overnight, it will generally mean taking my shower and putting on some cloths that don't smell like smoke. Also, I like to do my butts so that I have plenty of time to spare. So generally, I shoot to have my butts done and pulled off the smoker at least a couple hours before I intend on eating. I just find everything goes smoother when I do it this way. I'm not sure if it makes the meat moist, but I've had butts resting for a couple hours and still been pretty hot to the touch when it was time to pull.

Rest it as long as needed to get it from the time it finishes to meal time.

Agree. If you're going to rest it for a long period, wrap in foil & a towel and stick it in a cooler box. I've rested pork shoulders for over 2.5 hrs before.

Edit: Agree with Jerry too.

Rest it as long as needed to get it from the time it finishes to meal time.

+3. Rest long enough that it doesn't burn your fingers to pull it. I pour the juices off into a Fat Separator and add them back in anyway.

It's like the time a guy asked me how long until the beer is done. I said it's done when I am ready to drink it.

Great answer on the beer. I always allow any type of meat I cook to rest some after cooking to give the juices a chance to redistribute. I was planning on about an hour uncovered.

There's a difference between 'resting' which is allowing the meat to set for a specific culinary reason, and 'waiting' until it's time to eat. My point is that a good many people believe 'resting' the act of letting the meat site so the juices redistribute, is a myth. One thing that does happen for sure when the meat is resting, it gets cold.

Putting meat in a cooler to keep it hot until isn't resting, it's essentially using a cambro. Caterers use cambros to keep food hot until it's time to serve.

When the internal temp gets to 195 I start to probe the butt. I am looking for the probe to go in with no resistance. Normally I pull my butts around 200 but I have left them on up to 205 before as well.

When I first started cooking I would wrap in foil and let rest for 30-40 minutes. I have since started cooking earlier to allow 2-3 hours for my butts to rest. I really think the longer rest time the better the final product. With short rest time you really have to be good at predicting when your meat will be done. I had several cooks where I said dinner was at a certain time and it ended up being 1-2 hours later then that. The longer rest time gives you a bigger window to always serve food on time which is important in my house!

I guess others think the resting meat is a myth. I am not a scientist but I have had great success resting meat.

I like this article on resting meat.

Last edited:
I usually pull and wrap mine anywhere from 190° to 195° and then put it in towels in a cooler for as long as I need to or if its for the next day then I will leave it in the cooler for about 4 hours and then take it out and do it for pulled pork.

Late to the party,as usual! I take it off the cooker when probe tender,double wrap in foil and rest anywhere from 1-6 hours. Pammi always complains that it's gonna get cold,but it never has been!

Late to the party,as usual! I take it off the cooker when probe tender,double wrap in foil and rest anywhere from 1-6 hours. Pammi always complains that it's gonna get cold,but it never has been!

I wrap in foil and put the meat probe back in the meat. Wrap in a towel and stick in a cooler. I am always amazed about how long it stays around 190-200 degrees internally. I don't know if the meat reabsorbs juices or anything but holding it at the final temp for a few hours seems to make for a better end product.

Agree with Jerry, like to take my time and savor my accomplishment. An hour or 2, perhaps a cold beer to cleanse one's palate.

Back