How does the Smokefire app compare to a RecTeq?

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
I've been on the fence between a Smokefire EX4 and a RecTeq 590. Anybody have first hand knowledge and can compare the app from each?

I used the Rec Tec app as soon as I upgraded my RT-300 controller to the WIFI controller - Feb, 2019. After I used it for a month I rated it and gave it 2 stars. My rating is still on the Google Play explanation of the app. You can remotely start your grill from the app and you can't with Weber Connect. My problem, and many others, was that the Rec Tec app wasn't a reliable connection and frequently dropped the signal. It has recipes but Weber Connect has guided cook programs. I don't use that feature but owners new to BBQ love it. The RT app allowed me to monitor 2 probes and Weber Connect monitors 4. I haven't used the RT app since Sept. 2020 so it may have changed. Weber has steadily improved their app since it was released. After using the Weber app for a month I rated it 3 stars and it has been improved since then. After 17 months of use I would give it 4 stars. There's room for improvement. I don't know if that's any help. Now, what are your expectations of the app?

I loved my Recteq app when I lived in Florida. Moved to Indiana and our internet is 5G. Recteq's app is not compatible with that. I have tried using an extender in my garage with 2.4G, but somehow still having an issue. So, I would say that app was totally fine, but compatibility has been a challenge.

As Lew says, the Recteq app doesn't try to take over your cook. It is just a straight up monitor for your grill. You can watch how things are doing and change temps settings. What else would you really want? I think that one of the SmokeFire's problems in launch was that they went overboard on the software with so many hand-holding options. Meanwhile, the basics seemed to give people some definite hassles and I am not sure are completely resolved even now.

I use both the Recteq (Stampede) and the standalone Weber connect device. I certainly prefer the more focused basic
approach of the Recteq as to the more complex Weber implementation.

TBF the Weber has improved with time and a new update for ios landed recently but as yet i have not tried. Accurate temp
monitoring i believe is what most require and both cover this fine.

Back