How does quantity affect timings?

Our first try at brisket was a massive success on the succulence front and a total failure on the smoking. The weight of the meat was 3 pounds. We suspect the recipe as it talked about 10 hours in total really referred to a much larger joint. If we worked out pro rata timings is that reasonably accurate or should we trust the thermometers?

Should we have put the tin with the wood pellets directly on the coals?

Sorry to be a pest if these are already answered on the forum.

Pete

Pete, this is what you joined this forum for, you can ask these questions here and will get (mostly) reasonable answers. I go off track pretty easily, just ask TonyUK!
First, what are you cooking on? Kettle or smoker? I’m guessing a kettle, given the “tin of pellets” statement. Yes, put the tin on live coals, I’d suggest using chunks of wood but, that’s personal preference.
Second, was this a point or flat? Points tend to be the more forgiving (my experience) given more fat.
Really, that is where we need to start the analysis.
Is this the same cook as you asked about using the residual heat?

Many thanks for your reply. Yes we are getting used to our new Kettle. The joint was a rolled up brisket so no idea but when unrolled it was flat if that helps. It was delicious with the mustard rub but the smoking part was a non event. Once we use up the pellets I think we will move to chunks.

No the residual heat was after last night's beer can chicken. the wife was complaining about the waste of heat.

Pete

A picture of the meat before the cook might help me understand better.

I take a lot of pics as it helps me remember details without having to write down notes.

Edit. I trust temperature more than time for most meat cooking on the grill or smoker

TBH it was the thermometers that saved us as the recipe (weber cook book) quoted to do things at certain temps which I thought was a good idea. The thing though was the recipe was saying expect 5 hours to get to 80C (sorry don't use the old f) and it got there in an hour and a quarter or so making me think... HUH?

Hi Pete - here in the states, a 3 lb brisket peace is normally the "flat" of brisket (a brisket has two sections, point vs flat). The point is normally thicker, and has more fat, the flat is thinner and has more distinctive muscle fibers. In my experience, cooking the point section & getting a tender and juicy result can be tricky/unpredictable, I think an 1.25 hours would be "possible" depending on the temperature and how the kettle is set up. My way of thinking is to count on about 1 hour of cook time per pound of meat. And - yes, using thermometers when smoking meat is essential.

My favorite way of smoking on the kettle is the "snake/fuse method" as it will hold a low and slow temperature for many hours & you can place wood chunks on top of the briquettes and space them a few cm apart so you never have a gap in smoke production. You could probably sprinkle pellets on top as well, but I've never tried this. Your wifey may like this method because it's a very efficient way to use briquettes (very easy to save the fuel when you finish early)

It sounds like you are seeing what the kettle is capable of and just need to learn a few techniques to maximize your effort.
I agree with Johns suggestion of a “snake” for a more extended cook, it will keep temperatures more stable. I have come to appreciate the two probe thermometers, especially with a remote (for cold weather, being inside is more comfortable)! Vent management is a good skill to develop. For both temperature control as well as charcoal management. By that, I’m talking about starving the fire and saving “used charcoal” for the next cook. It takes practice to get the best results. Some people like to make detailed logs of their cooks, I don’t, I’m too lazy and easily distracted by the next bird or squirrel dashing past!

HI John K BBQ. Yes that is what we were cooking. As Timothy F Lewis is saying we are on a pretty major learning curve as up until now we have only cooed sausages and the odd burger with the Go Anywhere that lives in our motor home. This kind of low and slow is a new world for us though it must be said it's a very interesting and enjoyable one. We have the remote two thermometers and yes its handy not to have to go out and be tempted to lift the lid.

We were over on the Island of Bute two weeks ago and bought a pretty spectacular brisket there. We were wild camping next to the farm the meat was raised on, and only grass fed of course. However the wife says I have to be better at the game before I'm allowed to take it out the freezer.

Thankfully we seem to have lost our squirrels over the winter as the dogs near take our arms out with excitement.

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_184717(1).jpg
    IMG_20210918_184717(1).jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220803_193607.jpg
    IMG_20220803_193607.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 6
Hi Pete! I cannot help you, in any capacity, with brisket. But you found the right spot.

My wife and I had our best trips ever to the Highlands many years ago. Not one day has passed where I've not thought of those trips.

Good to see you aboard. Stick around!

Hi again.
Yesterday I was cooking a beer can chicken on the kettle with the charcoal in two baskets. One either side of the kettle. The chicken was perfect. We took it off and wrapped it in foil to let it rest then put on lean burgers and sausages. They were placed on the cooler part of the cook zone where the chicken had been and the temperature was around 180C. They just sat there doing nothing so I moved them to over the coals and yes they were a bit charred and not as succulent as I had hoped. any thoughts as to what I could have done to cook them more gently?

Hi again.
Yesterday I was cooking a beer can chicken on the kettle with the charcoal in two baskets. One either side of the kettle. The chicken was perfect. We took it off and wrapped it in foil to let it rest then put on lean burgers and sausages. They were placed on the cooler part of the cook zone where the chicken had been and the temperature was around 180C. They just sat there doing nothing so I moved them to over the coals and yes they were a bit charred and not as succulent as I had hoped. any thoughts as to what I could have done to cook them more gently?

I would start the burgers over coals for a direct cook then finish indirect with the lid down.

Sausage can heat indirect with a short time direct over the coal to crisp it up just before serving

You mentioned "lean burgers"... How lean? I like 75% beef burgers and then there is enough fat to keep the burgers moist. Too lean tends to be dry.

Last edited:

Back