How do you maintain 150-160 temps?

M.T. Higgins

Hello everyone.

I'm rather new here. I bought 18" WSM in July, and used it to great success with Chicken Wings, Chick Quarters, and Whole Fryers. ( Love my applewood smoked chicken!)

I live at 5280 feet, so I have learned a bit about the importance of O2, and the vents. I have been pretty easily able to maintain 210-240 at the top thermometer - ( still have 'no' upper or lower grate thermometers.. soon.. I use a pen thermometer to tell meat temps).

My question is, how do 'You' smoke at low temps?

I want to smoke several Whole Salmon Fillets at a very low temp, and I'd like to get some input from those who have done it before.

Logic tells me just use a lot less Kingsford, but how much? My target is 5 hours at 150 degrees...

Thank you all.

Buying the WSM was one of the best things I've done in years.. it's a hoot!

M.T.

M.T I am going to give an opinion only cause I have not tried yet to do it, but sometime in the next month or so I will be doing venison jerky at that same temp. I plan to do a ring of Stubbs, two brickets thick around the circumference of the grate about four brickets high and start from one end only with five or six lit. Let it get started and shut down those vents to keep it where I want.
Some more experienced guys might have a different formula

Empty, try this approach.... it's called the "Snake Method".

IMG_4599.JPG

this set up is from a recent pig belly smoke I did to finish up some bacon at 140ºF...
lasted well over 4 hours, could have gone 6. Make the Snake longer and who knows how long the smoke will last...?
It's a simple Domino effect where as you place down Kingsford (or your other favourite coal leaning atop each other...
for smoke, of course, add wood pieces to the top of the coal....
then ignite about 5 to 10 coals... once lit, add those to the end of the snake.
You will NOT believe how well this works....
the photo above is set up on a 26" OTG kettle with the top vent ALWAYS wide open and the bottom one touch cleaning system just cracked open to allow minimum air flow....
Try it man... you'll dig it AND use it in other applications!

By the way Empty, Welcome to our hangout!

Lampe nailed this answer -complete with picture. The snake method rocks for low temps. Add more rows for higher temps. IE - stacked 2X2 for 225ish

I remember one member that smoked cheese by putting a couple of lit coals in the ash container. Have not tried it myself.

The snake works like a charm For really long cooks you can add coals at the "cold end", but six hours should be more than enough for most hot smoked meats.

Last edited:

Back