How do I use wood chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike U

TVWBB Member
Howdy all. I've been lurking here for a few weeks and finally decided to post. I ordered my WSM last week and it should be here tomorrow or tuesday. I was planning on breaking it in by trying a butt next weekend and had a couple questions.

Most folks around here seem to use chunk wood for their smoking. I want to try some apple wood but all I've been able to find are chips. I've seen different ideas about soaking vs. not soaking and putting chips directly on the coals vs. putting them in foil. Anyone care to enlighten a newbie?

Also, I noticed next to charcoal briquettes at the store that they were also selling wood briquettes as well. Seems like that probably wouldn't be enough fuel to last through a long smoke but I was wondering if anyone had tried them it a grill or smoker.

That's it for now, thanks for all the tips and advice on these boards, I can't even imagine how many mistakes I'll be able to avoid thanks to everyone here.

Almost forgot one more. I probably don't want to start out on an overnight smoke so I have a question regarding butt size. If we figure let's say 2 hours per pound, an 8 pound butt would take me about 16 hours. Is it safe then to assume that 2 4 pound butts will only take me 8 hours or am I missing something?

Mike,

I can't answer your butt question as I am also waiting for my WSM to arrive, but I do feel comfortable giving you my opinion on fuel.
If all you can get are chips, I soak mine in water, at least 2 hour, sometimes overnight. Make sure you drain them well or they will put out your coals. There is a guy on Ebay's store that sells chunks of different types of wood in small or large amounts, you might give him a try...just type "wood chunks" under search, if you have problems let me know and I will forward the link to you.
As far as wood briquettes go...beware, many of them are processed with a lot of chemicals you wouldn't want on a long smoke, check the label.
I'm sure you'll get a quick answer to your butt question...everyone here is great about helping us newbies.
Welcome to the site.

Soaking is ok for grilling, slows the flash point, but placing chips in a foil bag with a few holes in it will give you better results for low and slow. No need to soak the limited air supply will give you what your looking for.
You will find chunks to use even if it means talking to friends and neighbors about clippings from the their hardwood and fruit trees. Keep your eyes open and ask around.
Jim

Mike
Although I havent used chips for some time. I think the best way to use them is to first soak them for maybe an hour, then make some pouches out of foil that are about 6x6 inches (you dont have to be exact on this) drain the chips and fill the pouches with the chips. Close the remaining end of the pouch and use a fork to punch some holes in it. Then place on the coals.
Even after soaking and semi sealing the chips,these may only last 1/2 hour to 45 minutes
so you will need to keep them comming.And dont forget to remove the pouches that are no longer smoking -you can smother your coals if you dont remove some of that foil.

Go with Jim's advice on the chips. Next time there is a KCBS event in your area go to it and ask folks where they get chunks.
Butts need time to break down the tissue so half the weight may not take half the time. If you want a great crust you need to stay away from foil and wait. If you want lots of juicy tender pulled pork in a hurry smoke for three hours @ 250f-275f then double foil wrap and keep the heat @ 250f-275F no smoke required after foiling. After another three hours start sticking you thermometer through one hole in the foil at half hour intervals until it reads 200. Pull and enjoy. Total cook should be 6 to 7 hours. You will find that sprinkling some rub on the pulled pork will take you to nice places.

OK now for my time pet peeve; temp and the thermometer going into the meat like it is soft butter is FAR more important than cook time. The biggest mistake new cooks make is watching the clock.

Enjoy,

Mike,

Like you, I had trouble finding chunk wood locally. There are several sources listed throughout this site, but I went to www.barbequewoodchips.com, and found that for about $25, I was set at least through the fall. They sell just about every type smoke wood imaginable in chunk form in 5 lb. bags. Most 5 lb. bags were $5 to $6, with very reasonable shipping. Each bag holds about 25 or so chunks, enough for multiple cooks. They delivered within four days, and I was good to go.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Mike,

You might want to look at www.peopleswoods.com
they have 20lb. bags of chunk wood (all kinds) for $14.95 and usually around $10 bucks shipping.
I bought some oak and pecan from them, good fist sized chunks, although their service was a little slow.

Dunno how far you are from a Home Depot or if any carry chunks other than hickory and mesquite. Might be worth calling there to check if you have a Home Depot nearby.

I've been lurking a while, too. Great website.

I've checked with the following chains here on Long Island:
Home Depot
Lowes
True Value
Wal Mart
Costco
Costco doesn't carry anything, all others carry mesquite and/or Hickory only.

You can get 40+ pound bags of Big John's brand hickory, mesquite, oak and pecan logs from Academy Sports and Outdoors and other places for $9.95. Have to cut to desired chunk size for WSM.

Big John's web site

I've rarely if ever seen any thing but hickory and mesquite anywhere but my local Ace Hardware that specializes in BBQ. Kinda pricey at $2.50/lb.

I hear folks have had good success with contacting local apple orchards to obtain their prunings and broken limbs. This might be an option for you.

And on that subject, if you are around my area (north of Peoria, South of Princeton Illinois) feel free to pickup some apple wood. I ended up burning a 10-foot pile of mostly apple branches a week ago.

Saved the bigger chunks and have enough to share.

This coming up winter I will have more apple wood(trees need major pruning).

I picked up about 40lbs of apple wood last fall from a local orchard, all in small log size. Had a buddy of mine cut it up. I've got enough apple to last a life time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Munson:
[qb] And on that subject, if you are around my area (north of Peoria, South of Princeton Illinois) feel free to pickup some apple wood. I ended up burning a 10-foot pile of mostly apple branches a week ago.

Saved the bigger chunks and have enough to share.

This coming up winter I will have more apple wood(trees need major pruning). [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Dave, check your yahoo account. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Wes

My nephew works at a hard wood mill. He provides me with cherry, hickory and white oak. Maybe check out hard wood mills in your area. They always have dumpsters full of scrap wood.

Wes, I sent you an e-mail with directions. If you think it ain?t enough we can cut some more. Most of old trees needs trimming. A few trees need severe trimming ? may split with a good load of apples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back