How big on an 18.5

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
I am gearing up to do my first turkey on the WSM and wonder what you folks have found as far as how big you can go on an 18.5? I have read that if the bird is too big the legs dry out before the breast is done. The answer may be here already but I have searched and scoured and my eyes are burning.

Thanks,
Eric

Here's a 22 lb bird on a 18.5. Ice the breast down for about 30 - 40 minutes prior to putting her on. The white and dark meat will finish at the same time using this method.
Thanksgiving08037.jpg

Icing
Thanksgiving08012.jpg

Ah Larry you rock, my eyes are burning from reading your thread on maple brined turkey, I may have more questions (ok I definitely will) but I can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks for the quick response and all your info on that thread. Not only informative but funny as well. I may be picking your brain on the gravy. My gravy has been anything but successful, my father was a chef and I tried his method, his gravy is awesome but he is not the best at giving instructions and it is the one thing I have not mastered that I learned from him.

Thanks again, love this site

Eric

You're welcome Eric. The JD Maple Brine is a great one. I've tried others but always do a JD Maple Brine along side.

Regarding gravy; there's a link in that JD thread to the Mad Max gravy recipe I use. I also highly recommend roasting a couple of turkey legs or thighs and veggies for stock. I really felt this kicked my gravy up a notch.

Any questions fire away!

Great looking turkey larry, will you be making one on Hestia this year? I have also stood a turkey on my turkey stand upside down. I will look, I have a picture around somewhere.

Hey Shaun, yes sir, I'll have one on Hestia and one on my WSM. Can't wait! By far my favorite holiday of the year, just goes by too fast.

I saw a video on Youtube.com and it appeared the gentleman showing a video of smoking his turkey putting the turkey down on the lower grate and just left off the top grate totally.

Is there any reason to NOT set the turkey on the top grate ? I plan to smoke a 12-15 pound turkey, so I hope it will fit ???

Any comments would be appreciated.

One more question please, as I'm a newbie on turkeys. Should I get my 18 1/2 WMS up to 300-325 degrees BEFORE I set the turkey on the grill, or is is dangerous to put it on as the temperature rises. I use a GURU DX DIGI-Q Temp Controller but I don't want the turkey to stay in the danger zone very long.

With that said, I hate having smoke and 300 degree heat blasting me in my face while I put the temp probe into the bird and ensure my pit temp clip is secure.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Back