How about tri-tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W.

TVWBB Fan
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D: in another thread
[qb]... Other than a rib roast or a prime rib, (brisket)it's the only cut of beef to do on the WSM-- ...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tri-tip (Common name here in California) is the end of the sirloin with a fat cap. It's been my favorite cut to cook on my little Joe. The problem has been to cook it long enough to get some smoke flavor without overcooking. Hence my plan to get a WSM.

Has anyone cooked this cut?

Jim
I haven't been able to locate Tri-Tip here in Michigan but would like to give it a go someday. Chris has a page in the cooking section on cooking Tri-Tip on the WSM. Here's the link.

Tri-Tip

rj

We cook them all the time at tailgaters in our Klose pit. We put them on the same time as ribs and low smoke them for about four hours. They are not medium rare (135-140 degrees internal) because we take them past that. They slice up nice and people go crazy about them. I am going to do some tonight here in AZ and run my WSM up to about 300 and put a polder in one and plan to pull when I hit 140. Will be interesting.

I normally grill the tri-tip on Weber kettle just like a large flank steak. Depending on temp I cook them 30-45 minutes.

Dennis --

I will be very interested in your results with the WSM and 300* for the Tri-Tip.

Please post your results. 140* seems a little high to me, as it would no longer be bleeding, but if it works, I'm willing to try it.

TIA

I have cooked a few tri-tips on the WSM, without the water pan. I cooked at about 300-325 degrees, over a bed of lump and red oak.
They were pulled off at about 135 degrees internal. Great stuff! They had a very nice crust, tender and pink inside. Made for some great tacos and sandwiches.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back