House Sweet & Spicy Sauce

Bob Bailey

TVWBB Wizard
This has been my house sauce forever. When we have a crowd over for Q, I usually put out squeeze bottles of 3 or 4 different sauce. This is the one tht disappears faster than all of the others combined. IIRC, it's a recipe I found somewhere and modified a few times before adopting the current version some time back.

2 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups ketchup
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup dehydrated onions
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 TBSP granulated garlic
2 TBSP Liquid Smoke
2 TBSP kosher salt
1 TBSP black pepper
1/2 TBSP cayenne(or less to taste)

Mix all ingredients together and bring to a boil. Simmer until desired consistency. Allow to cool and store refrigerated. I've kept this for over a year without a problem.

Hi Bob, thank you for the recipe. Printed it out. Would you mind if I left out the liquid smoke? Would it affect the taste of the sauce that much?

No problem Joan. I only put it in there because my pellet grill doesn't impart a lot of smoke flavor. It's a tasty sauce either way. Since I've got a kettle now, I may well eliminate it too.

Bob, just wanted to let you know that I am so glad you joined up here. It is nice to have a member that likes to make his own recipes.
Thank you!!!!

Bob, just wanted to let you know that I am so glad you joined up here. It is nice to have a member that likes to make his own recipes.
Thank you!!!!
Thank you Joan.
Not as glad as I am. Was getting sick and tired of perusing forums that are occupied by a bunch of halfwits. Refreshing to find a group of intelligent adults that share some of my interests.

You will like it around here Bob, a great bunch of people that love to share their BBQ secrets.
Have to give that sauce a try...

Bob, forgot to tell you the MAIN RULE of this site. You MUST make at least one of the recipes per week that I have posted.

JUST JOKING!!!!!! (just wishful thinking lol)

I'll be sure to look closely at them. I'm sure some will make it to one of my grills. We really like trying new recipes.

This has been my house sauce forever. When we have a crowd over for Q, I usually put out squeeze bottles of 3 or 4 different sauce. This is the one tht disappears faster than all of the others combined. IIRC, it's a recipe I found somewhere and modified a few times before adopting the current version some time back.

2 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups ketchup
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup dehydrated onions
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 TBSP granulated garlic
2 TBSP Liquid Smoke
2 TBSP kosher salt
1 TBSP black pepper
1/2 TBSP cayenne(or less to taste)

Mix all ingredients together and bring to a boil. Simmer until desired consistency. Allow to cool and store refrigerated. I've kept this for over a year without a problem.
What do you recco this goes with? Beef,
Pork or chicken? Thank you for sharing.

What do you recco this goes with? Beef,
Pork or chicken? Thank you for sharing.
It's especially good on pork, but we use it on everything except banana splits :) Seriously, it works well on just about anything you'd use a traditional red BBQ sauce on. It's got all of the bases covered. Sweet, Spicy, Smoky and Savory.

Back