Hot Smoker....Regulating High temps

BobbyNiz

I love my Weber Smokey mountain. I've been making some killer ribs. However I had two instances where the smoker got extremely hot and I cannot control the heat. I'm talking I pegged the lead thermometer all the way down to the right. The last time it happened I even had the water pan full. I think what happened was that my wood chunks caught fire which raised the temperature. How do I prevent this from happening?

Hey, Bobby, sorry you have had some trouble with heat control! In my experience, controlling the temps in the WSM is pretty easy, IF you start with the right amount of lit coals, and IF you control the temps on the rise (if you overshoot, it can be hard to bring back down.) Can you tell us a bit more about how you fired the WSM (quantity of lit coals? quantity of unlit coals?) and how you managed the lower vents as the heat came up? There are several methods you can use to do this. If you haven't seen the Operating Tips & Tricks section of Chris' site, there are some good descriptions there: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/operating-tips-modifications/

I'm sure we can help you dial it in, if you can share a bit more info on how you did your fire control on the cooks that got away from you temp-wise!

Rich

Back