Hot & Fast Smoke Day Chicken

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I decided to make hot & fast chicken today. My wife loves it and despite it being so easy to make, I don't make it very often.

Started with some patio cleanup...so much debris had blown in that I didn't want to track it in/out of the house.

Next, a check of the inside of my WSM lid. During the last few cooks, I got away without any flaking, but it finally caught up with me. A quick rinse/brush/dry and it will be ready to go shortly. This photo is post-rinse.

Next, I turn my attention to chicken prep and seasoning...stay tuned.

IMG_5143[1].JPG

Since I'm just doing chicken at high heat, I decided to try this bag of Kingsford Signature Flavors Garlic, Onion, Paprika and Hickory Wood charcoal briquets. Not something I would normally use, but I bought this bag on a whim at The Home Depot and I figure for a short cook, I might as well try it. It's mostly Kingsford Original but with some flavor bomb briquets mixed in. Funny, the flavor bombs crackle while lighting.

IMG_5144[1].JPG

IMG_5145[1].JPG

IMG_5146[1].JPG

Two 4-pound chickens butterflied then cut in half. Meat Church "The Gospel" all-purpose rub I picked up in Texas when passing through recently. Rubbed an hour before cooking, refrigerated, then blotted moisture and hit with some more rub.

IMG_5148[1].JPG

So I rotated the grate 180* at the 15 minute mark, flipped the chicken at the 30 minute mark, rotated the grate 180* again at the 45 minute mark, and sauced the chicken lightly at the 50 minute mark. Measured internal temp at 60 minutes, it was where I wanted in the breast and over-temp in the thigh, but OK as thighs are forgiving. We brought it all in and enjoyed. Some nice heat...I know there's some in the Baldwin Spicy sauce I used, not sure if there's any heat in The Gospel rub. Very moist in the breast, my go-to portion. Wife raved about the thigh and drum. Skin was edible. SUCCESS!

As for the Kingsford flavored charcoal, it smelled nice when lighting but not sure what it added in terms of flavor. The rub and light brushing of sauce were dominant.

IMG_5150[1].JPG

IMG_5151[1].JPG

IMG_5152[1].JPG

IMG_5155[1].JPG

Chicken looks great! Good idea trying out the Kingsford on this one.

What do you think of that thermometer?

Also you and cooking in sandals! :eek: Braver man than I.

What do you think of that thermometer?

Also you and cooking in sandals! :eek: Braver man than I.
I've used that industrial lid thermometer since 2000 or thereabouts. It dates back to the days when Weber didn't include a lid thermometer. Love it. I'm a lid therm guy for the most part, I don't need the supposed accuracy of grate temp that many are fixated on.

I am lazy re: cooking in flip flops. So far, so good, but it's funny you mention it because it did cross my mind today while dumping charcoal from chimney into cooker.

I really do enjoy it when you post up a cook, Chris, and this didn't disappoint! That chicken looks fantastic! I'm still working my way through my Dizzy Pig stash, but when I do, I'll be grabbing some of those Meat Church rubs!

👍🏼👍🏼

R

Funny, the flavor bombs crackle while lighting.
Read on a fireplace site:

The sound of firewood popping and crackling are the noises made by gases escaping quickly when the firewood is being burnt. The amount of pops and crackles produced by a fire can depend on the type of wood, the moisture content of the wood and the efficiency of the combustion.

That is all so enticing, Chris! Your photo skills are marvelous! Would we could all have been there for that feast... :oops:

And thanks for the tip on the sausage. No HEBs here, but next time we see one, I'll look out for it.

And thanks for the tip on the sausage. No HEBs here, but next time we see one, I'll look out for it.
If you're ever passing by a H-E-B in Texas, you owe it to yourself to walk the aisles and pick up some cool stuff. They've got pink butcher paper, extra-thick aluminum foil, rubs and sauces, some great sausages and bacons (I bought some pork jowl bacon I can't wait to try), and meats for grilling and barbecuing that you don't find in other parts of the country. I also like to pickup Saint Arnold root beer.

Back