Hong Kong crispy noodle with chicken and vegetables stir fry

Nice chef's plate, you must be a machine to eat all that......;)
You should have seen how well I used that shovel to ingest it alll.

It was quite a hit last night. A very cleaner version of a recipe that could have hidden calories and extra fact.

Par boiled well seasoned chicken breast slices, blanched the white bok choy to ensure even cook, so wound up using much less oil for a lighter and more flavor sauce.

And wok fried noodles are always a hit. This was dinner for 4 adults with around 1-2 servings leftover.

That looks amazing. Since we moved we have not had Chinese and went to the only place within 20 miles for some take out. It was not very good and yours looks way better than anything we got. Was there a recipe for this? I need to get a wok soon.

That looks amazing. Since we moved we have not had Chinese and went to the only place within 20 miles for some take out. It was not very good and yours looks way better than anything we got. Was there a recipe for this? I need to get a wok soon.
Thanks, Joe. The recipe link is in the first post.

I modded this dish to reduce some of the calories (less frying) and for a healtheir meal.

Specifically, i salted the sliced chciek breast, generously, added some dry sherry and a small amlunt of cooking oil to this chicken and marinated it for 20 minutes. then boiled some water in the wok and par cooked the chicken, around half way, so that when adding it back to the wok later with the sauce, the chicken would still be moist and clean. this method delivers a flavorful chicken without searing it and using oil or corn startch on it.

i also blanched the white bok choi so it was evenly cooked and only needed heat through when adding it to the sauce for final plating.

i ran both fresh garlic and ginger root through the food processor and added both to the white onions and red peppers when i quickly woked them. of then which i added the gravy as written in the recipe (modded on amounts to my flavor profile, basically more oyster sauce 2 tsp of sugar to balance the salty/sweet flavors here).

thicken the sauce to your own desired thickness so i added a little extra corn starch to get more body on the gravy.

my noodle prep was a very quick blanch and then cold water bath, then drained on a rack for the water to come off. noodle were then wok fried with some oil, not a lot as the wok will naturally crisp the noodle up due to fast heat transfer.

the crisped noodles are plated and then you'll make the stir fry, and build the sauce and then ladle it atop the noddles when done.

dressed with slivered green onions when fully plated, that's what made this meal.

by far it's better than any shop locally and my ingredients are clean and top quality as i picked them.

i omitted the shrimp, carrots and mushrooms per the recipe as i didn't want to eat those in this dish. pure choice on my part.

you can easily make this dish. and there's a youtube video from this recipe as well.

You should have seen how well I used that shovel to ingest it alll.

It was quite a hit last night. A very cleaner version of a recipe that could have hidden calories and extra fact.

Par boiled well seasoned chicken breast slices, blanched the white bok choy to ensure even cook, so wound up using much less oil for a lighter and more flavor sauce.

And wok fried noodles are always a hit. This was dinner for 4 adults with around 1-2 servings leftover.

I wouldn't get too upset at oil usage.
Ultimately I guess it depends on what oil you are using.
I take oil regularly by spoon daily.......and put it in my mouth...;)
Fats are good, your body needs them. I am sure you are aware of bad vs good, that's the important step.
The food looks fresh and delicious, I am sure it was a hit.
I haven't posted pictures in a long time.....I have only been cooking the same old stuff is probably why.
Might post a thread with pics of my last 10 cooks.....I did take pictures of what looked good.

I wouldn't get too upset at oil usage.
Ultimately I guess it depends on what oil you are using.
I take oil regularly by spoon daily.......and put it in my mouth...;)
Fats are good, your body needs them. I am sure you are aware of bad vs good, that's the important step.
The food looks fresh and delicious, I am sure it was a hit.
I haven't posted pictures in a long time.....I have only been cooking the same old stuff is probably why.
Might post a thread with pics of my last 10 cooks.....I did take pictures of what looked good.
i agree. the low oil model if before bed time. the less oil i consume later in the day, the less likely it will come back to haunt me at night.

so avoiding the frying of the chicken and veggies and boiling instead has a net positive result for me. nothing big, just incremental steps to sleep through the night.

post your stuff. don't hold out. i'm always looking for inspriation, personally. this way i don't have to cook the same meals over and over again.

i agree. the low oil model if before bed time. the less oil i consume later in the day, the less likely it will come back to haunt me at night.

so avoiding the frying of the chicken and veggies and boiling instead has a net positive result for me. nothing big, just incremental steps to sleep through the night.

post your stuff. don't hold out. i'm always looking for inspriation, personally. this way i don't have to cook the same meals over and over again.

I will post a few as a side comment in my next thread....hopefully this weekend.
I am making birria tacos based on a previous thread....that thor's hammer thread or something like that.
It really caught my attention, and we love Mexican food.......Thank you Eric.
Going tonight for the dried chili run to the Mexican store about 30 minutes away......after work.
Getting everything...shells, veg, blanco cheese.....they carry tomatillo's, I will be making a fire roasted verde I think for chips......these taco's do not need a salsa. I have had something like these before, looking for a traditional cook.
I had an old blade roast hanging in the freezer looking to collect old age pension so this hopefully is a good choice. My other option was a sirloin tip......I believe this is much leaner and if I remember it right I bought that for Italian dipped sammies. I know the blade roast is cut from right near the chuck and we ain't got any chuck roasts right now. It's about 4 pounds.
Taking a few tips from heygrillhey on her recipe for this one. Checked it out and there are tons of variations on this birria style cook. I have a bit of respect for her online presence and her recipe seems fairly simple compared to a lot of them. Lots of chili's....she also like smokers.

Wish me luck, looks like a win no matter how I do it.

It appears as though this is our last weekend that will be over 18 degrees Celsius for the rest of the year.....it's a sad reality. ( about 64F )
Grilling goes on all year, just not on the back deck chilling out with cocktails enjoying the weather. More like running in and out shivering your butt off as you wait for your probe to hit temp. We go down below 0 degrees F where I live.

Next on the list is me making my own new recipe....going to be some sort of Mexican chili.....no idea what that is yet.
We have our annual chili cook off coming up and I am taking the modern flavorful attempt over the traditional style cook.
We get judged on our chili and I want mine to stand out from the rest.....considering smoked pulled pork possibly, no solid ideas yet.
Feels like I watch too much food network, new and modern with lots of flavor is why Bobby Flay always wins. :p

Suggestions are welcome.

Nice stir fry Brett! I’m overdue, I always seem to use flank steak maybe I’ll change it up next time with chicken or shrimp.

Nice stir fry Brett! I’m overdue, I always seem to use flank steak maybe I’ll change it up next time with chicken or shrimp.
i use flank or sirloin. i prefer the sirloin, especially when velveting the sirloin (technique). keeps the beef juicy and holds a nice wok sear. you could also do a seafood combo of scallops, squid and shrimp, just up the garlic a little. this recipe is versatile and tasty. AND super easy for lazy, and quick cooks.

Back