Homemade Pork Rinds Question

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I'm curing my first Pork Belly to make Bacon. I removed the skin and made pork rinds but in the kitchen. I will probably do this again but would like to try it on my SmokeFire using the process I used in the kitchen. I'm thinking use my Jerky rack and run 325° for 1.5 hrs. Remove from SF., crank it up to 450°, put them in and check after 5 minutes. In the kitchen I did oven at 325 and air fryer at 450 for 5 minutes and they puffed up real nice. This was my first time making these and I hope someone has some experience they can share. I know it's not technically BBQ but I did put a rub on it, it's fun, and tastes great. Quasi Q? :unsure:

I don't know if this will help you or not, but Chud recently made some pork cracklins, which I'm guessing are pork rinds. Chud's cooking is as strong as his personality, he's a character from New Hampshire that found his way to Austin ....

I don't know if this will help you or not, but Chud recently made some pork cracklins, which I'm guessing are pork rinds. Chud's cooking is as strong as his personality, he's a character from New Hampshire that found his way to Austin ....

Thanks Lynn. It's helpful because it reinforces the validity of my process. It made me think that I will give them an hour of smokeboost before I go up to 325 just to give more smoke flavor. I think because the SmokeFire is a convection oven I can just raise the temp to 450 and sort of emulate the frying process. Cracklins are the rind plus the belly meat so they probably behave a little different in the cooking process. Having watched that I will have to try some Cracklins next. I left the fat on my rind instead of scraping it off, as recommended, so I got a little of the rendered fat in the taste. Great video but Chud is a weird one. The one advantage to doing the high heat in my air fryer is a window to observe when the rind pops up. Just have to check more often with the SF. Thanks again.

Thanks Lynn. It's helpful because it reinforces the validity of my process. It made me think that I will give them an hour of smokeboost before I go up to 325 just to give more smoke flavor. I think because the SmokeFire is a convection oven I can just raise the temp to 450 and sort of emulate the frying process. Cracklins are the rind plus the belly meat so they probably behave a little different in the cooking process. Having watched that I will have to try some Cracklins next. I left the fat on my rind instead of scraping it off, as recommended, so I got a little of the rendered fat in the taste. Great video but Chud is a weird one. The one advantage to doing the high heat in my air fryer is a window to observe when the rind pops up. Just have to check more often with the SF. Thanks again.

Chud grows on ya :LOL: but yeah, he's a bit weird

He posts a new vid every Tuesday morning and Mrs Dollar and I have breakfast watching Chud's latest cook. We really enjoy him.

Back