Hold my beer and watch this......

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
Was watching an old rerun of BBQ with Bobby Flay tonight on the cooking channel because Food Network is still in the year-long "Chopped" marathon......

Anyway, I digress...

He showed a clip of some guys cooking butts outside of the Panther's stadium on football weekend who cut the butts into shreds and then ran them through a sausage grinder to get them "chopped" for sandwiches.

I didn't know whether to be amazed and impressed at their ingenuity or shocked and appalled at what they were doing to that smoked pork butt!

Pat

I saw the same thing done at a restaurant on Man vs Food. It really didn't appeal to me much after it was ground.

I grind up smoked butts to make boudin sausage and have tried ground butt in a sammich, It's OK but not better , certainly not worth the cleanup effort.

Yeah,I've seen that before. Forget which show. That's my major complaint about traditional NC barbecue. It's chopped and all texture is gone! It tastes good,but that's about it. This is why I shred my pork. But,then again,I'm not originally from NC either!

Well, I am originally from NC and chopped pork, while traditional, is not something that appeals to me at all. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat the heck out of it, but pulled (or shreded) pork is the way to go in my opinion.

I read the subject line in the Barbecue Topic listing and instantly my shoulder, knees, right wrist, etc started aching. If I had a nickel for every time I said something like that when I was younger....

Thank goodness it was about BBQ.

Russ

North Carolina born and raised here. Thats how its been done for years down in NC. While I don't do mine that way I do get it. It takes effort to pull pork for ALOT of people. Chopping is much easier and the chopped goes with vinegar style sauce pretty well IMO. For something like a football game I get it. You also have to remember that a lot of these BBQ places in North Carolina still offer pork plates for under 5$ with sides. Maybe those prices wouldn't be possible for pulled. If you tried some of the local stuff from the BBQ places I doubt your stomach or your wallet would be complaining.
icon_smile.gif

I usually chop leftover butt and stir fry with onions, season with a little cavender's and mustard (wife's on a no carb kick).....I can't imagine grinding it; can't see any benefit......a lot of effort to ruin the texture of the meat.

Chopping is easy and doesn't create the headache of cleanup.

Back