High Heat Cheese

Seth Boardman

TVWBB Fan
For those that have made sausage with cheese in it are you using high heat cheese or just regular? Everything I've read online recommends high heat cheese but I don't know where to get it from. Can you get it from a store or is it only available online? Where do you order it from if you use it?

Seth, it's pretty easy to find online.....Amazon has a few selections, SausageMaker.com, etc. Might even be a local butcher near you in NY that makes their own sausage who could sell you some so you don't have to stock a large amount. I have never made a cheese sausage, but, when I do, I will use the high heat cheese. I've read all the same stuff as you, and I don't want to risk putting in all the work to make sausage only to have all my cheese disappear during the process. I'm pretty sure that my next sausage making day will include a green chile/cheddar beef sausage like I've enjoyed at a few Texas BBQ joints.

HTH,
R

....and, I promise I'm not stalking you, you just happen to ask questions I actually know the answer to! :)

I've purchased 20 pounds of hi-temp cheese from Pearl's in the last two months. I use it in Summer Sausage, snack sticks, brats, smoked cured sausage and fresh sausage. My general rule is 8-10% cheese to a batch. (20lbs ground meat and 2lbs of cheese)

Ask the meat cutter is also a good source. I've used them over the years too

cheers

This is something I've been curious about. I make my own sausage but haven't put cheese in it. I wish I knew exactly what they were doing to make it "high temp." I often buy sausage from my butcher that has cheese it in. I've definitely had it melt out on me if I'm not careful with how I cook it. I would think something like a really sharp cheddar would naturally be kind of high temp.

This is something I've been curious about. I make my own sausage but haven't put cheese in it. I wish I knew exactly what they were doing to make it "high temp." I often buy sausage from my butcher that has cheese it in. I've definitely had it melt out on me if I'm not careful with how I cook it. I would think something like a really sharp cheddar would naturally be kind of high temp.
You can use extra sharp cheddar that's been aged 9 to 18 months in Summer Sausage. SS never sees temps above 152-154. I do not recommend
sharp cheddar in fresh sausage. Most cooks/grillers tend to over cook it, which causes the cheese to melt out and create voids.

I'm not sure the procees for making hi-temp cheese. It's a rabbit hole I don't need to visit.

What types of sausage do you make?

Last edited:
You can use extra sharp cheddar that's been aged 9 to 18 months in Summer Sausage. SS never sees temps above 152-154. I do not recommend
sharp cheddar in fresh sausage. Most cooks/grillers tend to over cook it, which causes the cheese to melt out and create voids.

I'm not sure the procees for making hi-temp cheese. It's a rabbit hole I don't need to visit.

What types of sausage do you make?
Mainly a Texas Hot Guts style sausage and andouille. I've made Cajun boudin a few times as well. Generally the andouille gets cooked to 153 initially. The last time I made a beef sausage I took it to 153 by cooking it at 150 most of the cook and then bumping it up to 180. Typically, I like to cook it more at barbecue temps meaning cooking at 225 to 275 until I hit 160. It's a tossup on which I like best. The lower cook temp seems to make it a lot more like a summer sausage. Some people do the warm smoke to set the batter and then recook it at bbq temps to 160.

I haven't tried making summer sausage. There's two ways to go about that, the cure #1 approach, and then the fermented style using cure#2. I'd lean towards wanting to do the harder version but I don't have a curing chamber.

Back