Hey Kevin.....

I've been doing some reading on the various balances of flavors as they are sensed by tastes and have run into some questions. I'm hoping you can shed some light.

Is naturally occuring umami the same or a very close cousin to MSG minus the sodium component?

If I were to use bonito flakes (inosinate) along with vegatables/****ake mushrooms (L-glutamate) in making a stock would it be better to add a little bit of salt to compliment or keep the savory flavor predominent?

If I make a stock for injection that has the above components, what would be a good avenue (flavor-wise) to take for a rub as a compliment in your opinion?

I am absolutely fascinated by what sorts of things are available to change flavors in one direction or another and how they are sensed by the palate. Sort of like a painter deciding on colors when painting a picture.

Thanks for your input!
Russ

In order:

Yes.

It would be better to add some salt to boost the flavor. Tomatoes, e.g., are high in glutamate. Think of how much better the flavor is when a perfectly ripe bite of tomato is hit with a little salt.

Imo, the direction to take for a complementary rub would be to add the other components typical in something full-flavored: sweet, salty, bitter, sour, umami. There are several ingredients possibilities here. I would recommend two or more in each area. Levels in the rub are dependent on the components in the injection.

Hope this helps.

Back