Help picking new grates for a Genesis Silver A

Jeffrey W

TVWBB Member
Hi, I know this topic has been raised before, however going through previous threads most suggestions for grates for this grill are no longer available.

I have narrowed it down to the after market half moon stainless steel grates from bbqparts (made in USA SS rods they sell are no longer available)

stanbroil, solid rod, grade 201 SS

and the original Weber porcelain enameled steel, which is what I am leaning towards.

I don’t want to spend too much as they are for my parents’ grill at a seasonal house. I would only spend more if I could get something American made. I also want something that is easy to keep clean. would love to know any thought or if anyone has other suggestions.

thanks

I'd get SS over the porcelain steel.

I've had stamped stainless on my Silver B for years.

Good to know, I was hesitant because of the reviews on Amazon for the Hongso ones. However the consensus on these boards seem to be that bbqparts sells quality products. They also specify that their stamped stainless steel is 304 grade.

I'd get SS over the porcelain steel.

I've had stamped stainless on my Silver B for years.
I'm with Dan on this. I've also been using the stamped ss grates on my grill for years. They hold up and no rust to worry about. The Hongso version I would stay away from, way too many bad reviews.

I bought the Stanbroil grates two years ago for a rehab grill. THey were good solid rod SS grates. However, I only paid $25.99 for them back then. $50 seems pretty steep for a two burner grill. I would still get them over the stamped SS grates though. They will last much longer for the same price.
I used plenty of HONSGO grates on my three burner rehabs and have been very happy with them. I know their prices have gone up as well though.

I should probably have added, while I've had the stamped stainless grates for years, if I were buying a set today I'd probably get stainless rods.

I don't have any first hand experience on any of the rod style grates on a gas grill, but I like them on my charcoal grills.

The discussion about rod grates becomes 7mm or 9mm? and then spacing between grids, quality of finish etc.

All that said, here's another set that is more than the one Bruce posted, yet the bars appear to be spaced closer.

Let us know what you end up buying and how they work out for you.

I bought the Stanbroil grates two years ago for a rehab grill. THey were good solid rod SS grates. However, I only paid $25.99 for them back then. $50 seems pretty steep for a two burner grill. I would still get them over the stamped SS grates though. They will last much longer for the same price.
I used plenty of HONSGO grates on my three burner rehabs and have been very happy with them. I know their prices have gone up as well though.
Yeah, my hesitance with the stanbroil was the high price for lesser quality grade 201 steel. I did see on their website I that they use 304 on their larger grates

I should probably have added, while I've had the stamped stainless grates for years, if I were buying a set today I'd probably get stainless rods.

I don't have any first hand experience on any of the rod style grates on a gas grill, but I like them on my charcoal grills.

The discussion about rod grates becomes 7mm or 9mm? and then spacing between grids, quality of finish etc.

All that said, here's another set that is more than the one Bruce posted, yet the bars appear to be spaced closer.

Let us know what you end up buying and how they work out for you.
Yeah those are the Stanbroils, I contacted the company to ask what grade they were and was disappointed to learn that they were 201, not 304. Pure stainless steel is important to me for health reasons and longevity of the grates.

Yeah those are the Stanbroils, I contacted the company to ask what grade they were and was disappointed to learn that they were 201, not 304. Pure stainless steel is important to me for health reasons and longevity of the grates.
Good to know, and yeah, too bad they are 201. Even less good is that it isn't listed for the product.

I think the Hongso grates are perfect for rehabs. They look nice and are (at least were) cheap. For a keeper grill I would buy something a little nicer, that's all.

I agree, for a personal grill, I would choose something a bit higher quality, but OP indicated that price was a consideration as well.

I agree, for a personal grill, I would choose something a bit higher quality, but OP indicated that price was a consideration as well.
Do you think the bbqparts stamped SS grates will be higher quality than the Hongso? I’d get the SS rods from bbqparts but they haven’t been available for the 2 burner grill.

I would go with solid rod grates all day long. They just hold up better and hold heat better. The thicker the better. If they are 304SS, then great, but even 430 SS is fine for cooking grates.

I would go with solid rod grates all day long. They just hold up better and hold heat better. The thicker the better. If they are 304SS, then great, but even 430 SS is fine for cooking grates.
I haven’t been able to find solid rod grates for this grill, that is why I am considering the stamped. i have only found SS grade 201, which I am hesitant to buy.

Jeffrey, I posted this link earlier. If you are looking for Genesis Silver A grates, these should work.

Oh, that’s right, I was going to look into those to get a better sense of them but I am home alone today with my 6 month old and cranky 2 year old and forgot.

they look nice, just not much info as to the quality, but lots of good reviews. I guess since it’s Amazon no harm in ordering them for a closer look.

I ended up buying the Hongso stamped grates. ive been using them all Summer and The only complaint is that they are a bit short so slide around while cleaning, cooking Is no problem and and have had no issues with warping, rusting or food sticking.

I just picked up a Genesis 1000 i found on FB marketplace for free. This one was definitely exposed to the elements and I will need to replace almost everything. so now I am deciding between the qulimetal 7mm grates, 9mm grates, and the 8 mm made in USA grates on bbqparts.

I’ve read many reporting problems with a short crossover on the Amazon burner sets so will probably spend a bit more to get the Weber kit from bbqparts.

My 2 cents. If you are looking for lower cost alternatives, I like porcelain enamel stamped if you use the grill frequently. Easy to handle and maintain.

If you use the grill infrequently go with stamped stainless or stainless rod. Less maintenance, no real need to season and less prone to rust.

Back