Help me decide

Lee North

I need to decide between some grills that have turned up in the used listings here in Spain. One is a 2005 Genesis Silver B, a grill I've always wanted but never managed to find at the right price/condition. This one... is probably still the wrong grill at the wrong price. I haven't seen it yet, but in pictures it looks THRASED. Rusted grates, rusty doors, etc. $250 asking price. The listing said it was in excellent condition, just needed a good cleaning, owner said he was only selling it because he bought a new one. A couple of weeks later, owner dropped the price and ETA'd that only one of the burners works. I'm going to go see it on Tuesday. My guess is, the igniter is shot, the burners are shot, the grills and flavorizers bars are rusted out, and that's why he bought a new grill.

The other two grills that turned up used are Spirit II's of recent make. Both look to be in good shape and well cared for. One's an E-310 GBS, the other an E-330 GBS. Both look great in pictures, both sellers seem reasonable. Asking price $300 for the E-310, $350 for the E-330. In Spain, new E-310s usually cost upwards of $750 and the E-330s upwards of $900.

My head is telling me to buy whichever of the Spirit II's looks/works the best. But I'm like Ahab when it comes to the earlier Genesis models... They're just so appealing. I've always wanted one This one has the doors on it -- rusty, of course. The grill is rusted too. Side caps painfully worn. It looks such a mess in the pictures. But early Genesis models very rarely come up for sale used in Spain so I'm tempted.

On last thing: I do have a bead on another "grail" grill, a first generation Stainless Steel Performer kettle. This owner wants €150, which seems reasonable given it has all the original bits and bobs and is generally in decent shape. The only trouble is logistics -- the kettle is 700 miles away...

Wow, stuff certainly is expensive there! Maybe give the older Genesis a cursory look. But it sounds awfully trashed to me. IDK what kind of supply resources there are over there in Spain. Re, tools, finishing products, access to parts and so on

I, as well, prefer the older grills from Weber. However, in your situation, I would lean more towards the newer ones given your description.
I agree with Larry regarding the costs over there. If you are talking US dollars, that is rough. Your other option is to hold off and keep looking.

If you do get interested in the 2005 Genesis Silver B check the frame carefully. That's an SWE frame and the ones here seem to rust pretty badly. Check the normal rust-out area - crossmember to the left of the cookbox but also, where the lower and upper legs join. Check the underside of the top frame rails, where the plastic ends plug in. Rust doesn't mean it's a no-go but maybe you can use it for leverage to get a lower price.

If the frame has rotted out you will likely need to fabricate parts. If it's only paint bubbling off and the steel is still solid enough to use you can clean it up and repaint.

Thank you helping me think this through with very specific and detailed advice.

I'm definitely seeing the Genesis, it's practically down the road from the Spirit E-320. Going in to see the Genesis with a set of tabs showing what the replacement parts cost in Spain. None of those parts are available from Weber EU, all cost 2-3x what we pay in the US.

If the Genesis frame isn't rotted out, lowball offer of $30, willing to go up to $40. Otherwise, move on to the newer Spirit II's. Those Spirits... lack that certain Weber feel, it's true. But I had a Q100 and while it wasn't traditionally "Weber" I used that little grill 3-4 times a week. Liked it a lot. But the Q's are too small for what I need here.

Will post pictures once I've got some.

One of My favorite Weber Grills in the small size that you're looking at is the Genesis ii LX 240. If you see any of those available I would definitely check them out also.

Back