Help!! Looking for a basic control system

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I know this is beating a dead horse but after reading all of these posts, I think I want some kind of temperature control system. I'm looking for a basic,no frills,bare bones system. I'm not going to monitor it from my computer or cellphone. I pretty much want to set it and forget it. Something I can set up for a butt or brisket and go to bed and check on it in the morning.

Can anyone tell me what to get. When I go on the Guru web site, I just get totally confused.

I have a Stoker, and no experience with the Guru. But it looks like the simplest choice is the Guru Pitminder ETemp package. You set the cooking temp you want, and it controls the fire to maintain that temperature. No meat temperature monitoring; just set the dial to the temperature you want (kind of like setting your oven). Paired with a Polder-type meat thermometer, this would be all you'd really need. The other models have the bells-and-whistles, but even with those, you don't have to make the process any more complicated than you want to. With the Stoker, for example, while it's possible to monitor everything via computer, you don't have to. In my case, the box sits on the deck, and I can read it through the patio door. You don't have to use the meat probe, you could just let it control the cooking temperature only. With either system, once you get used to setting and operating it, I think you'd be satisfied. It's kind of a Ford-Chevy thing.

Thanks Larry,The Guru sounds like the kind I'm looking for. I already have a Oregon Scientific remote meat thermometer so that will work. Do you use the Minion method with it and what size fan do I need?

I got the Guru with a 10cfm fan(and a WSM). It's a little overkill. The damper is closed half-way most of the time. Save yourself $7 and use it to buy the Eyelet Assembly.

Thanks Russell, I just e-mailed Guru and asked what size fan I need and he recommended the 10 CFM fan. That's why I wanted to ask someone who uses it and not a salesman. With the eyelet assembly, do you put your probes through them as opposed to going through the access door or pinching the wire between the top and the center section?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
Thanks Russell, I just e-mailed Guru and asked what size fan I need and he recommended the 10 CFM fan. That's why I wanted to ask someone who uses it and not a salesman. With the eyelet assembly, do you put your probes through them as opposed to going through the access door or pinching the wire between the top and the center section? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct Dave. The eyelets let you put the probes in without going through the top vent or under the hood. I recently purchased the DIGIQ II and once I understood what certain things did and how they operated, it truly is a set it and forget it unit. It has a ramp mode that keeps the food from being over cooked once you set the meat temperature, the pit temperature will drop below what you have it set for. In otherwords if you have your meat temp set at 165 and your pit temp at 225, it could drop the pit temp down to 209 or even lower once your meat temp gets within 20-25 degrees of where you set it. SO if you have it set at 165 and the meat goes to 140, the pit temp will start to drop. once the meat temp hits the target temp an alarm will go off telling you that your meat is done. Great unit.

Thanks Ed, after reading your comnment I don't know which one to get
icon_confused.gif
. The Guru pit temperature probe is a little clip and I don't think that will go through a grommet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
Thanks Ed, after reading your comnment I don't know which one to get
icon_confused.gif
. The Guru pit temperature probe is a little clip and I don't think that will go through a grommet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That alligator clip comes off and you can put it through the eyelet and then put it back on once it's inside the cooker.

Now it's starting to sound real good. I just hate to spend that much money and be dissapointed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was a little reluctant to spend that kind of money, but what the heck, you can't take it with you when we leave this life, and it sure takes the guess work and the hassel out of trying to control the temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I just hate to spend that much money and be disappointed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think you need to worry. Do you ever see a Stoker or GURU on ebay or craigslist? Nope, because no one ever sells once they have one.

Now it's starting to sound real good. I just hate to spend that much money and be dissapointed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Only thing you'll be dissapointed about was you didn't get one sooner. The 10cfm fan is great for high heat cooks and for getting the temp up fast. Get the cig lighter connector and go to Wal Wart and pickup a small portable car batter jumper pack ($30.00) and you'll be smiling ear to ear with that setup. Link to picture
icon_wink.gif

Digi II kit will come with a 10 CFM. It's not overkill. It also has a damper to cut airflow if you want.

I would not get a pit minder at this point. Spend the extra $$ for the technology in the Digi II and you won't be sorry.

All and any temp probes whether they come from Digi II, Maverick, Poulder, etc, etc will work with the eyelets from BBQ GURU. They are not specific to any vendor's probes. If you do get a probe kit or kits, before you install take the SS allen head screw to your local hardware store and buy a couple extras. The screw can shear upon removal leaving you with nothing to install the second eyelet with
icon_wink.gif

Bryan, you don't think the 10cfm is overkill? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope, I ordered my Competitor with the 10cfm fan on it and use all 10cfm of it more than not.
icon_wink.gif

I'd recommend the 10 cfm Competitor fan for versatility and for a reason that Bill mentioned several years ago (if I understood him correctly): For low-heat cooks, the Competitor will run less than the pit minder in order to maintain the mid-200°F temps, thereby putting less stress on the competitor than on the Pit Minder.

Also, if you ever want to do a high-temp cook (300° to 375°F) the Competitor will take care of it easily.

Does anyone have a PitMinder that will hold temps over 300° to 325°F easily? I don't know and I haven't read of it, but I might have missed posts to that effect and would like to learn more about the Pit Minder's capabilities.

Rita

Rita - not a competitor, but a Digi II. So no real difference regarding Fan. 10 CFM. Used a full load of lump (Humphreys) awhile back for a Turkey. Held well within +/- 5 or 10 deg. range for the duration.

But - understand that it doesn't matter which controller you buy form BBQ Guru. If you want a 10 CFM fan just tell them Nothing about the controller unit you go with specifies the fan CFM. They are seperate components - and you can tell them which one you want. And each fan has it's own damper to control air flow if too much air ever becomes an issue.

When any of the controller see that the temp has dropped below where you've set it, it simply turns on power to "the fan" doesn't matter which one is connected. Current to the fan is not varied (not speed controlled), but duration (on/off pulse or time) is.

Buy the 10 CFM. That way you have the most flexibility to use it in whatever device/chamber size you want. If you find it pushes to much air, then choke it down with the integrated damper and "turn it into" a 4 CFM fan or any airflow you want up to 10 CFM.

Got it, Ray. I didn't mean to imply that the 10 cfm fan was a Competitor-only unit and know that it can be used with any controller. Poor phrasing on my part.

Lately I've gotten away from using my Guru meat probe because I just check temps with my Thermapen near the end of the cook...you have to check the meat in several places anyway. I just received a pit-probe-only probe unit from Guru (they'll make one for anyone) and I like it a lot. I didn't want to just cut off the meat probe from what I already have and the one-wire probe unit keeps the coiled-up unused meat probe from getting in the way.

Rita

Back