Help identifying Genesis

ErikT-NC

Hi, asking for help identifying as much info based on this one pic….any idea if this is a good restoration foundation (and worth the effort).

Any idea on how old this Genesis might be based on this pic?

Attachments

• IMG_7737.png
    IMG_7737.png
    400 KB · Views: 28
From what’s visible I think you have a nice restoration candidate! What’s showing of the grease tray is pretty encouraging and it doesn’t appear to have spent a lot of time in the sun! Would need to see better pics to judge price. But anything under $40 for a keeper is a good buy to me.

If the wood is still in decent shape, yes definitely. If the wood is rough and you don't care to do wood work, then no. There are several areas on the grill you want to check close however. Show some more pictures and we can give you a lot better idea.

The frame next to the cook box on the left side tends to rust out really bad. Is the big black drip pan under the cook box in good shape? Are the black Z bars on the wood shelves all rusted out?

Hi, asking for help identifying as much info based on this one pic….any idea if this is a good restoration foundation (and worth the effort).

Any idea on how old this Genesis might be based on this pic?

The wood isn't the original wood. The handle is obvious and looks like the flip up tray has 7 slats when normally there are 6.

Still looks lile its in good shape amd im assuming no rust in North Carolina.

What are they asking for it and are they including the tank ? Is there a cover ?

The wood isn't the original wood. The handle is obvious and looks like the flip up tray has 7 slats when normally there are 6.

What are they asking for it and are they including the tank ? Is there a cover ?
$75, tank included, no cover. I’ll probably go take a look in person as it’s close by. I was planning to redo all the wood either way, as I have a wood shop in my garage and plenty of left over hardwood from previous projects. Ideally I’d like to find a restoration candidate for free or close to it, as I plan to do a full nut/bolt restoration and custom wood slats….as a keeper.

Sometimes it's worth it to pay a little bit more to get a nicer grill. This one looks pretty nice. I have been fortunate to find a few where pretty much all the parts cleaned up like new which saves on buying individual parts. On the other hand if you're intent is to replace everything anyways definitely free or cheaper is better. I guess it also depends on if you have other parts grills available.

I'd like to see your custom wood when finished. That's one of my favorite parts and can really make a big impact on the finish product. If the wood that comes on the grill is in good condition it never hurts to have another set.

$75, tank included, no cover. I’ll probably go take a look in person as it’s close by. I was planning to redo all the wood either way, as I have a wood shop in my garage and plenty of left over hardwood from previous projects. Ideally I’d like to find a restoration candidate for free or close to it, as I plan to do a full nut/bolt restoration and custom wood slats….as a keeper.

Offer him 40 but check the things Bruce said or you will wind up with 5 or 6 or 12 more and a storage locker.

Sometimes it's worth it to pay a little bit more to get a nicer grill. This one looks pretty nice. I have been fortunate to find a few where pretty much all the parts cleaned up like new which saves on buying individual parts. On the other hand if you're intent is to replace everything anyways definitely free or cheaper is better. I guess it also depends on if you have other parts grills available.

I'd like to see your custom wood when finished. That's one of my favorite parts and can really make a big impact on the finish product. If the wood that comes on the grill is in good condition it never hurts to have another set.
It's definitely worth it to pay more for a nice one. The wood on these is usually shot but you can certainly reuse it/ refinish it if you don't care what it looks like.

I'm hardly the right person to ask. I'm not doing grills anymore. I dabbled in some. Not to the level of someone like Bruce, Josh, Cody and a few others, here are far better.
I like Cody and I thought I had seen most of what he posted, so I must have missed his restoration. You may have recently seen one by @Jon Tofte or @TomRc that were pretty spectacular as well. Every once in awhile I do one myself even if it's not very noteworthy.

The wood is definitely trash and not original as Danny pointed out. I wouldn't pay more than $40 for it myself.

Back