HELP! anybody out there?

Thanks for the quick response as we speak I'm going out to grill my first brats. Pictures and results to follow.

Indirect with a full chimney on the other side your looking at around 45 minutes probably depending on the brats you have. I've seen some pretty small sorry excuses for brats that probably won't take as long.

imo-take a foil pan, add sliced onions and beer, cook till onions are flexible, add brats. cook brats until just before casing splits. toss brat on/in a bun w/onions and mustard. you'll thank me later.

imo-take a foil pan, add sliced onions and beer, cook till onions are flexible, add brats. cook brats until just before casing splits. toss brat on/in a bun w/onions and mustard. you'll thank me later.
no offense, but you've got to be pullin' his leg...

Rich, start with a single layer of ashed over coals...
slightly oil the brats OR your cooking grates...
grill direct with the grill closed for 3 minutes...
turn the brats ¼ turn, grill another 3 minutes...
all this while the grill top is closed...
finish the brats indirect until golden and an internal temp reaches 160ºF

no offense, but you've got to be pullin' his leg...

Rich, start with a single layer of ashed over coals...
slightly oil the brats OR your cooking grates...
grill direct with the grill closed for 3 minutes...
all this while the grill top is closed...
finish the brats indirect until golden and an internal temp reaches 160ºF
Nothing beats directly grilled brats, turning often!

No way, beer brats are the way to go. Although I like to finish them with a bit of a sear on the grill.

I'm with Dave in that I parboil them in beer/onion/peppers over a very low simmer until cooked through which takes maybe 12 to 15 minutes. Finish over direct heat for carmelization and serve with toasted buns, sauteed onions and peppers. Mustard for me as well. NO Ketchup! :)

Thanks to all who replayed, sorry no pics the time frame was to short. We had a surprise BD party and it suddenly moved to our house. So I was arse over tea kettle getting the performer fired up and trying to figure out how to cook these puppies. Did what Jim Lampe suggested so I could use the whole grill surface, single layer of coals and direct heat turning a quarter about every 3 minuets until they hit 160. Browned the buns with a little butter and the wife sautéed a bunch of onion it came out good.
I do want to try the beer bath method also, there just wasn’t enough time last night. It’s weird I like brats just never have done them at home.

Thanks again you guys saved the day

I do mine indirect all the way with about 1/2 to 3/4 chimney. They get nice and golden and hardly any splits (don't like when they split). I do give my insides a beer bath while grilling them, though. Makes the brats taste even better.

ya know... cookin' brats in beer is good... I've done it many times...
but really, if you're gonna cook only a few, direct is the best way.
I'll put up my brat cook against any other way folks brag about...
and you know what...........????

DSCN4131.JPG

DSCN7061.JPG

DSCN5279.JPG

DSCN5395.JPG

DSCN5874.JPG

DSCN6655.JPG

Back