Heavy as sin out door fire grate?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
As I have said for the last almost eight weeks, there is a big road, water service, sewer, project going on right in front of me with lots of scrap being piled up. I was walking down the street (had to get out!) and I saw a storm drain grate sitting there. Just wondering if anyone had tried using one for a fire pit grate? Obviously too big to direct grill on but as a platform for cast iron Dutch oven cookery, skillet work, etc. I would think it might be pretty good....once it gets hot! I’m going to see if I can snag one for a fire pit after I sell the Jeep. Might have to store the thing for a while but. If it’s free?

Yeah, I need sell it, we are not using it, unless we decide to take a country drive. I love it but, it’s not getting any healthier just sitting full of lawn furniture!
There’s too much “planter stuff” in there until I can start getting the stuff out!

Yeah, I need sell it, we are not using it, unless we decide to take a country drive. I love it but, it’s not getting any healthier just sitting full of lawn furniture!
There’s too much “planter stuff” in there until I can start getting the stuff out!

I feel that pain. I had a Wrangler for 13 years. But having kids and moving further from work resulted in me using it less and less. My wife had a little Honda Prelude she wasn't driving since our first was born, so I used her car for commuting.

This Cherokee is a 1994, 2nd owner, 111K miles. It will hold a heck of a lot of lawn furniture.
Maybe next week, I can clear pots out of the garage!
I was gifted a nice white cedar picnic table and some matching Adirondack chairs which were really badly finished so, that’s another project for this summer!

Sorry, Tim, didn't mean to hijack your thread! :) I like the storm drain fire pit project idea. Seems like a sturdy foundation to do some cooking.....maybe some chain and a pulley or two, and you could make it adjustable like a santa maria grill. I mean, you do have some time on your hands, right?!? ;)

R

Time yes, tools not so much. Maybe a counter balance kind of set up, like a shadouf?
I suppose that begs the question, where in blazes do I put it!

Back