Heatermeter AP mode

MKader

TVWBB Member
Does anyone has step by step instructions on how to setup the HM in AP mode?

I've tried my best and haven't had any luck, and it's been getting frustrating.

On first boot the HM should come up in AP mode. To go back to AP mode after you changed to Client mode you should just have to go to Config/Network/WiFI then click EDIT on your "Radio", in the bottom section change the Mode from Client to Access Point.

That said, I know originally the HM was kinda buggy when trying to switch back and forth between Client Mode and Access Point Mode with the Edimax adapter, but I thought that had been ironed out. (though not SURE that problem was fixed up)

I don't really use AP mode, but I recall when I did experiment with it a while back the Edimax would sometimes get "stuck" in a mode and not want to switch back and forth, but my Comfast CF-WU715N adapter worked fine switching back and forth.

If you are having issues I would first suggest that you make sure your HM software is up to date (in case there is a fix out there that you do not have installed), if up to date already perhaps try the Comfast adapter or another adapter with the RT5370 chipset. However, I do recall some people reporting other adapters that should have the RT5370 chipset were not working with the rPi (not the comfast one I listed, but others), so that may be a crap shoot as well if you just try to pick an adapter with that chipset.

I have two dongles plugged into my HM. One is set up on my home network(client), and the other is set to AP mode. This way,I always have either option without changing any settings in OpenWRT configuration.

I have two dongles plugged into my HM. One is set up on my home network(client), and the other is set to AP mode. This way,I always have either option without changing any settings in OpenWRT configuration.

@WBegg - would you care to share more info about this setup? I've attempted to get this setup and did have it working except I no longer could access my heatermeter remotely. What I would like to do is have 1 dongle setup for my home, and if I go somewhere else I'd like to remove that dongle and put in the other one that is configured for AP mode. The only way I could get it to sort of work is by having both adapters connected at the same time, but then as I mentioned above I couldn't access remotely.

Back