Heatermeter 4.3 not recognized by pi

JSiravo

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone, new to the forum.

My heatermeter 4.3 is not being recognized by the rasp pi. Currently i am using the USB power on the rasp pi to configure and make sure everything work before hooking up the 12v. I dont want to fry anything.

I went ahead and reflowed everything on the base board. Still no change. I am able to connect to the openwrt software on the pi. I will be working on this tonight once i get home from work so any ideas are welcome.

any ideas on what it might be? or a post i can reference? most of them say a reflow fixes the issue.

thanks in advance!

Joe

I'm not sure if I'm of much help but when I fired mine up in the same manner I was using a weak, cheap cell phone charger. I noticed I was not getting any back-light on the screen. When I did plug into a wall outlet as opposed to a USB port I got the LED's on the front but no back light. I then decided I was confident in my work and plugged in 12v. It took about 30 seconds and the screen booted up. It was blank however and I did need to adjust the potentiometer.

I may be confused by your post, but it seems kinda backwards... Upon first boot the ATMega is blank, there is no "HM" in there... The rPi boots the HM OS and when it see's the blank ATMega it flashes it, then you get the "NO PIT PROBE" on the HM, at which time you have a living HM. Have you made it that far? Does your HM show all blocks on the LCD or do you get "NO PIT PROBE"?

Sounds like the Atmega isn't getting power, which has a high probability of the 3.3v regulator not being installed in the right spot.

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/HeaterMeter-4.3-Base-Board-Assembly

Scroll down to Step 6

You need to verify that you have the MCP1700-33 installed in the right location, and not a BS170 where the MCP1700-33 should be.

Check for 5v and 3.3v in the red rectangle in this image:

m6jfbeW.png

Last edited:
Blocks on the screen is usually an unprogrammed ATMega, this means you have not had a successful boot where the HM and the rPi were both working fully.
First thing I would do is examine your HM build, verify you have proper polarity on the electrolytic caps (can like caps) and the diodes, and the transistors are all facing the proper direction. I gather you have verified the 3.3v regulator is actually in the proper spot already, so thats good. Also make sure the ATMega is installed in the proper orientation. Examine the board for solder bridges or untrimmed component legs or stray solder that may cause shorts. After you have done this I would power up the HM from the 12V PS while the rPi is not connected. Don't expect the HM to boot and WORK, you are just booting to check the various stages of the power circuit, you are expecting to see backlight on the LCD with black boxes and the LED may be in any random condition (on, off, blink at boot etc).
With the HM powered by 12v check the OKI board for 12VDC and 5VDC (with the black lead of your multimeter on any ground point), if you've got 5VDC then check your 3.3VDC regulator for 5VDC and 3.3vDC. If all those voltages are present I would unplug the power, mate the rPI to the HM and then boot the whole thing up using (only) the 12V power supply. The rPi should load the HM OS, see the blank ATMega and flash it, then reboot the system and your HM should display "NO PIT PROBE" on the LCD. You should see the LCD flash off/on when it reboots after the flash, if you see this and still get black boxes on the LCD adjust the contrast pot again.
If anywhere in this process things do add up post back where your results differ and we will try to help you. If you have a hard time identifying the polarity on the components or solder bridges post some closeup pics of your board so we can help you with that.

Ralph, so checked everything again. reflowed just to be sure. i power on with 12v just the HM and LCD. the lcd get black boxes but nothing from the led (red, grn, yellow). checking the voltage now.

Steve and how long does that take? i let it go for over 5 mins.

The one thing i noticed when checking voltages was on J1 i am not getting the 3.3v but i am getting it at the regulator, not sure if that is an issue?

It takes less than a minute.

The 3.3v out from the regulator doesn't go to J1 ( pi header ).

Using the diagram I previously posted, check for 3.3v and 5v on the pink and red connections.

Do this without the raspi connected, but with the HM powered via the 12v connector.

so i am not getting 3.3v at the top few pins on the amega (L1, MO) and along the 26pin (MOS, G25). i tried reflowing but it didnt work. i cant figure out whats causing that.

Those ones are ok, you won't see 3.3 with the pi not attached or the ATMEGA not fully programmed.

Can you post some high res pics of the boards? Might shed some light onto the problem.

Nothing jumps out from the pics.

Boot the whole thing up and log into the web interface. Once logged in, click the Status tab at the top and then look at the System Log and Kernel Log tabs.

You can cut and paste all of the lines into a new post at https://gist.github.com/ or http://pastebin.ca/ and then post the links.

My first build went kinda the same way, the ATMega remained unflashed for some unknown reason. I was under the impression changes had been made to the HM code to prevent that a long time ago though.
What I had to do was connect a monitor and keyboard to the rPi and force it to flash the Atmega using the command:

avrupdate /lib/firmware/hm.hex

I detailed that experience here, http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?409...ntual-SUCCESS!&highlight=initial+boot+success , keep in mind that was with HMv4.0 quite a while ago... but since you've posted your rPi boot log you seem to be poking around at the rPi already, might as well give this a try and see what happens.

Good idea. You should be able to just do that via the web interface.

Go to the LinkMeter Tab, below that click on the AVR Firmware tab and then choose the "Bundled firmware in /lib/firmware" option.

Click on the the green "flash" button for "hm.hex" and watch the output.

This is what you should see:

Code:
Stopping LinkMeter OK

LinkMeter platform is BCM2708
Loading SPI modules...
AVR fuses ffd705 OK

02f20cc28a46b0673e84562e25d60320  /lib/firmware/hm.hex
hmdude: compiled on Dec 31 2016 at 19:43:45
Using port: /dev/spidev0.0
Loading ihex file: "/lib/firmware/hm.hex" (22342 bytes)

0% |                                                  |     0 (0.0s)
    0% |                                                  |     0 (0.0s)
    5% |##                                                |  1118 (0.1s)
   10% |#####                                             |  2236 (0.2s)
   15% |#######                                           |  3352 (0.3s)
   20% |##########                                        |  4470 (0.4s)
   25% |############                                      |  5586 (0.5s)
   30% |###############                                   |  6704 (0.6s)
   35% |#################                                 |  7820 (0.7s)
   40% |####################                              |  8938 (0.8s)
   45% |######################                            | 10054 (0.9s)
   50% |#########################                         | 11172 (1.0s)
   55% |###########################                       | 12290 (1.1s)
   60% |##############################                    | 13406 (1.2s)
   65% |################################                  | 14524 (1.3s)
   70% |###################################               | 15640 (1.4s)
   75% |#####################################             | 16758 (1.5s)
   80% |########################################          | 17874 (1.6s)
   85% |##########################################        | 18992 (1.7s)
   90% |#############################################     | 20108 (1.8s)
   95% |###############################################   | 21226 (1.9s)
  100% |##################################################| 22342 (2.0s)
Update successful
Starting LinkMeter OK

Back