Hanging Ribs and Chicken In the WSM

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
Short post here with some fine looking ribs and chicken. I invested in the hanging gear a year or so ago and haven't really used it much. I was busy playing fetch with our new pup so didn't have much time to take photos of the set up. This was some of the best looking ribs and chicken I've ever made and I'll give the flavor 8 out of 10..... chicken was a smidge overdone and I probably should have foiled the ribs to make them a little more tender.... and probably should have put the chicken on 45 to 60 minutes after the ribs. On this occasion, I ran the WSM without my ATC, and it held 275 to 300 on the built in thermometer all afternoon. It ran so good I might not ever mess with ATC again for cooks < 8 hrs.

The beans turned out nice. Bacon, caramelized onions, Bush's original beans with some left over pulled pork and Jack's Stack bbq sauce, all cooked outside on my Genesis. Probably could have used a few tablespoons of yellow mustard in the beans, or maybe a dash of apple cider vinegar to zip them up just a bit. Anyway, here's a pic of the finished product minus some baked potatoes... I'm looking forward to my next cook. LOL, here's my PK 360 holding the tray and getting no other use for once ;) Usually it's the Genesis getting this sort of treatment!

IMG-3498.jpg

were they done directly over the coals? did the meat have a grilled/smoked flavor combination to it?

Still need to break-out my GateWay Hanging Rack and Hunsaker Vortex Plate to hang some meat on my WSM 18" "Classic". Nice Cook!

Attachments

• dC%5OS9AR1C05Xce%PIA3w.jpg
    dC%5OS9AR1C05Xce%PIA3w.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 8
were they done directly over the coals? did the meat have a grilled/smoked flavor combination to it?
Hi David - I used a "Fire Dial" on this cook, and basically stuck it right on top of the charcoal ring so that when the fat started to render most of it would hit the fire dial and evaporate there rather than adding fuel to the fire itself. Some of the barrel cookers include some such apparatus (namely Gateway Drum Smoker, and Hunsaker).

This style of cooking does give you a different flavor profile vs the total indirect method of using a water pan. I think this method is better for achieving crispier chicken skin..., and it does cook faster. The next time i run the WSM, I'm probably going to try hanging only half-chickens and will be dry brining for a bit longer... The skin on this chicken was way better than the last several birds I've done, but I did over-cook the breast meat a tad.

Back