Hanging Day

To be served with corn on the cob and roasted sweet potatoes.
(this cook is still going on)

Kingsford Comp briquettes with Apple chunks.

Outta the foil, finishing up on the top grate. The parts of the racks that were closest to the coals are obvious in this pic.

I bet you could cook 8 racks easily in an 18er with these hangers.

229381DB-E639-4B29-986D-4459D471A07B.jpeg

I kept these ribs real simple to get a better feel for what hanging them over the coals brings to the party. A basic rub, spritzing with water and apple cider vinegar, a little Blues Hog added in the foil, finished dry.

First, I expected more of a smoke ring. Temps ran 285 - 305 which may play a part.
2B86F1F0-8CAA-43A2-ACEC-B3AA7022C707.jpeg
The flavor was outstanding. “Bacony” kept popping into my head as I ate them.

F2F3EB2A-06F3-42ED-BB2A-31ED3CD0E796.jpeg

Next time, I’ll keep the temp under 250 to see if there is a more pronounced smoke ring. Besides the appearance, I have zero complaints about how these turned out.

As a bonus, you can cook 6-8 racks of ribs in a WSM 18er. One drawback is you can’t cook your sides alongside the meat.

I’m glad I spent 45 bucks for the hanger kit as opposed to 300 for a PBC. :alien::wsm:

Greg... Those ribs look amazing and there's nothing wrong with the appearance. Love the color. Glad that rack worked out for you. I'm going to be trying that out very soon. Gotta ask. Is your Avatar Photo a Burbank or a Norkotah?? :)

Greg... Those ribs look amazing and there's nothing wrong with the appearance. Love the color. Glad that rack worked out for you. I'm going to be trying that out very soon. Gotta ask. Is your Avatar Photo a Burbank or a Norkotah?? :)

Not sure, I had the photo on my iPad and I’ve been accused of going full potato at times.:cool:

Nice looking plate of food! I dont care what Cliff says I bet that's an Idaho Russet!

Back